Plus 2 Chassis

PostPost by: JELLYBELLY » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:05 pm

I've recently bought a second hand chassis for my plus 2. I am about to strip and paint it. I intend to use a product called Hydrate 80 as a primer and rust preventative followed by many coats of chassis black. Does anyone have any beter ideas?
Also what do I do with the threaded holes I was intending to brase bolts into them and grind them flat, or am I better just leaving them and having two holes?
I will renew the brake lines and fuel line whilst I can get to them. Is there anything else that should be done whilst the bodies off?
Any help would be much appreciated
JELLYBELLY
New-tral

PostPost by: bvt » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:08 pm

a good welder should be able to grind off the backing plates that have been drilled and weld new plates on and fill the surface and linish flat.

Next... I woudl get it zinc plated.. yellow pages
then poweder coated... I had my baby Elan chassis done for ?60 yeahh it may get chipped etc etc but how often an elan is used powder is ok
bvt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanman3 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:25 pm

Being an ex-welder your right, welding up the holes re-drilling and re-tapping is an option and easily done with the body off. However first I'd run a tap through the holes and clean up the threads, may be they are good enough to re-use as they are.
As for zinc coating, a better option would be to shotblast to bare metal and galvinise ...... yellow pages again. If you did that it will last for ever.

Colin Thatcher
elanman3
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: