Elan +2 Roof Colour

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:10 am

Hi,

My 1973 +2 Elan S130 is lagoon blue with a silver metaflake roof. The roof is needing repainted. Does anyone know the 'official' name for the roof colour?
I believe the paint work is original.

I've had a look at ther paint codes in mikecauser.org but I need to know the name of the paint to get the code number.

If this paint is no longer available, does anyone know an aquivalent?

Regards,

Hamish. :)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:05 pm

Here in the US I can go to the paint store and they've got a device that computer matches the original color. It's held up against the car or you can take in a paint chip and a match can be done. If there is a place on your roof that doesn't have the fade and this system is available to you I recommend it. Make sure the supplier is aware it is a fiberglass car so the proper type of paint is sold to you. If you cannot find the code this might be the answer.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:22 pm

Hi Hamish,

Some paint factors in the UK have the device mentioned in the previous post.

I'm not sure it will help with a metalflake finish however. If your local factor stocks traditional metalflake they could probably advise you on how to get a similar colour.

Assuming they have flake available in the correct colour you will still have to make a judgement about how much flake to use to obtain the correct density.

Personally I wouldn't sweat it too much, just aim for a nice bright uniform flake finish. Also remember that if your roof is typical of some I have seen the original laquer will have mellowed and yellowed quite a bit over the years. At least modern 2K laquers resist yellowing much better.

Although I have had the pleasure of painting cars for a number of years I have never tried metalflake however I have seen a colleague use it and I recall that the technique is to put some ball bearings in your paint gun pot and remember to keep shaking to keep the flake in suspension!
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tinman » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:09 pm

HI hamish
I repainted a +2 roof ayear or two ago,
i still have a bag of metaflake silver,

regards

tinman
tinman
New-tral

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:44 am

Tinman,

Could you e-mail me on [email protected]. I'm interested to hear about the bag of metaflake.

Regards,

Hamish.

:)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: