Carpets Again

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:03 am

I am just about to fit the new carpets that I purchased from chris neil ( good value) in my +2. Can anyone tell me if there should be underlay/soundproofing under all the floor and side carpets. I bought some from woolies but it seems a bit thick to fit properly. Does the carpet around the doors fit under the door seal?
Thanks
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:43 pm

Chris, I just purchased new carpet from Dave Bean Engineering. And when I get the car back from the paint shop, I'll install it in my coupe. As far as sound proofing, check out quietsolutions.com and go to cars = quiet car. They say the difference in noise level between a $15,000 car and a $75,000 is as much as 30 dBa. It's for metal or fiberglass and is sprayed, rolled or brushed on. I brushed three coats on the coupe's whole interior, roof, trunk, doors and firewall. And 3 coats will reduce the sound level by 20 dBA with just paint. Go to the web site for more info. The pad that came with the carpet will be glued down, then the carpet. That should add more sound proofing for those who are not addicted to the raceway roar and are not apposed to a little traveling music. I'm a first time owner and I found on my elan dash, a spot that I've been told, one could use as a source of music. With the noise level down I might install something. Too much fun, talk to you guys later.
Sarto
Elan 36/5785 LHD
Northern Calif.

My carpet did not have pad around the doors, but glued on. I don't think it was under the door seal. It was just glued up to it. I don't know if that was the correct application or not....
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:19 am

Hi Chris,

I'll be doing exactly the same thing in a few weeks. From when I stripped the sound proofing out, yes there's sound proofing under everything except the runners for the seats. These had rectangular slots cut from the sound proofing, so only used the carpet for isolation.

I plan to stop the sound proofing about 1" from the door edge and seal the carpet right up to the edge, with the door seal on top.

I'm near Banbury, UK if you want to take a look,

Regards,

Niall
Zetec Plus 2
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:29 pm

My car had/has sound proofing under the runners. Perhaps Lotus got bored of cutting slots when they got round to my car (73 Sprint)

My carpet is also fitted under the door seals. It was glued upto the boor opening, then trimmed and the door seal pushed over the whole lot (to hold it all together)

If Banbury's too far I am near Cambridge :-)
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: