Leaky Propshaft Seal

PostPost by: mct340 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:58 am

When I park on a hill (nose up) I leave a small puddle of 80w 90 from the tranny. There is no groove worn in the shaft surface so I guess I need a new seal. How do you remove it the old one?....a slide hammer?
Thanks,
Mike
mct340
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gwnorth68 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:38 am

Is the transmission still in the car? Makes a big difference to the method used.
Tom
'68 Elan S3 Roadster, '72 MGB, FFR Roadster Cxbxa Replica, 2001 Saab 9.3
Bolton Ouest, Quebec
gwnorth68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mct340 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:06 pm

Yes it's in the car. Any help would be much appreciated.
Mike
mct340
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davea » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:05 pm

If the seal is gone then the bushing in there could be gone too (the bad news).
Removing that seal with the trans out is not so easy (just did it).

Replacing the bushing is transmission and engine-out operation,
and remove the tail housing of the tranny as the bushing must be
pushed into the housing to remove the old one.

I can't really quite imagine replacing that seal
with transmission in place, but I suppose it is just barely possible.

But if the bushing is worn the seal may quickly wear again, but then
I'm not an experienced Elan-transmission person so only guessing.
davea
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:51 pm

I've changed that seal many times on lots of gearboxes but never tried it with the box still in, think I'd live with it until it was part of another job i.e. clutch overhaul etc.
Also never had to replace the bush, its not difficult to take out the old seal with the box out, find an old srewdriver with a blade of about 6/7mm's across its blade, grind a rudius on ONE side, knock in the screwdriver on the outside of the seal (with the radius to the outside) and lever out the seal. You may have to knock in the screwdriver in more then one place. A WORD OF CAUTION! it is possible to break off the outer lip of the gearbox! if the seal is tight move to a different position and try again untill the seal loses its grip and levers out.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gwnorth68 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:58 am

I just this summer replaced the rear transmission seal with the transmission installed, but not easily.
-remove driver's seat, carpeting and rubber plug to get access to the end of transmission and driveshaft. Then get under the car and undo the rear propshaft bolts and pull the propshaft rearward and out of the way.
-using a Dremel right angle grinder attachment and tiny rotary milling tool, cut the seal in three places radially through the leather/rubber and well into the steel outer sleeve.
-now using a long small punch, small cold chisel or other implements of destruction, bang on the seal radially until it deforms and eventually can be levered out. Try not to cut through the seal into the cast tailshaft housing but this didn't seem to be a problem.
-installation of the new seal reqired a tool machined out of aluminum which piloted on the transmission output shaft. Various slide-hammer devices were used which went up the driveshaft tunnel and drovet the new seal into the housing.
Wasn't easy or neat but nobody said owning an Elan was going to be simple. No leakage observed to date after replacement.
Tom
'68 Elan S3 Roadster, '72 MGB, FFR Roadster Cxbxa Replica, 2001 Saab 9.3
Bolton Ouest, Quebec
gwnorth68
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: