Sue Miller CV joint versus Spyder

PostPost by: thor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:17 am

I'm also sure Hatman is right about that last comment....
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:28 am

Well another very emotive topic.

I have NO experience of anything other than the TTR ones I have fitted to my +2 (ashamedly by someone else as the car was being prepared for travelling to Ireland: oops:)

But as my car had really never been on the road for 12 + years other than 50 miles to get it through a MOT before I bought it, I decided that the Doughnuts would quite possible be shot. :shock:

SO rather than fly to UK pick up the Lotus for a 300+ mile trip from Scunthorpe to Pembroke and then 100 + when I got to Ireland with 'unknown' serviceable drive shaft couplings. The thought of one breaking and being on the motorway with the wife and trying to explain [img]'Of Course she was worth the money its only a minor problem' I thought I'd better play safe and have new shafts and after much deliberation I plumped for TTR.

I have since done about 1500 miles (including bringing her over toIreland) and other than I think the diff noise is louder (but it may be my imagination) I'm totally happy with them and the guy who fitted them said that they are a 'Masterpiece of good Engineering' so that made me feel better as well. :lol: :lol:

I have to admit the Elan Factory ones do look good and I have been in fairly regular contact with them as I though at one time about importing some and selling them on as from Aus to Vietnam P&P is ridiculously cheep ! :? PS: have attached the spec sheet for these and the Aussie $ is down against Sterling !!

So there you have it totally 'on the fence' reply :lol:

Cheers and many beers
Attachments
CV_driveshaft_conversion_kit[1].pdf
(141.02 KiB) Downloaded 947 times
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:00 am

I fitted Sue Miller CV shafts nearly three years ago now after a disasterous donut failure wiped out the suspension on one corner of my +2 (despite the fact that it failed at low speed while turning right off a main road).

Since then the car has done 9000miles, three Classic rallies, and a track day without a moment's problem.

So you are absolutely right not to persevere with donuts, and I can heartily recommend the Miller CV shafts for regular / energetic normal use.

Of course I have no experience with any of the other conversions but there did seem to be an issue about the TTR sliding spline ones binding on full droop when I was choosing and having had a donut let go I certainly was not going to leave one in the drivetrain which the Spyder conversion does. It seems clear that current donuts are infinitely inferior to the ones available when Chapman chose them (mine had done less than 5000 miles when it failed), perhaps due to the rubber technologists not being allowed to use nasty toxic ingerdients in the mix these days. After all in the 1960's Formula one cars used them (though I remember they did occassionally fail on those cars!!)

I am sure it is more important that you change from donuts than exactly which option you take. I still find myelf thinking about what would have happened if mine had failed at speed. Frightening.

Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:18 am

I realised that before I finshed the above post I shoudl have give you all the cost of the Aussie drive shaft conversions so here it is

Kit = AUD 1350 = 545 Quid !!

PS: I have been assured by them tha the CV joint is readily available worldwide should it ever need replacement

cheers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:13 am

Looking at the Elan Factory picture - it appears to be, visually that is, the same as the Susan Miller CVJ. But more expensive. Clearly there is a difference as importing the LF ones from Oz would not be a consideration.
Can anyone tell me what the benefits of the LF ones are over the SM ones?

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:42 am

I'm looking in the foregoing at what seems to be some very obvious implications in the two statements: "CV joints without uprated drive shafts are ...a time bomb" ; and: "the Spyder system seems to be a half way house"

My own experience: I used to replace the original Rotoflexes about annually. Eight years ago (~40k) miles) I fitted the Spyder system. I have regularly checked the remaining two rotoflexes, there are no signs of breakdown to date. I dismounted the whole assembly a few month ago as one of the CV gaitors was starting to crack. I replaced the gaitors, but the CVs were in perfect condition. I have an 1800 TC with a QED 420 head, so there is plenty of torque going through there. All my classic BMWs have Guibos (rotoflex couplings) in the drive line. So whether the full CV system may just transfer too much stress onto other areas can be debated, the Spyder system does work very well for me.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:06 pm

I've been running Mick Miller shafts for a couple of years; I would recommend fitting Tony Thompson's excellent upgraded top diff mounts, particularly as the currently available "standard" mounts are totally crap, presumably for the same reason as modern doughnuts, i.e. it is not permissible to use some of the toxic ingredients any more.

Checked out a couple of GT40 recreations now being built in South Africa last week-end (High-Tech and CAV)...... neither are using the rotoflexes used on the originals, they have gone over to CV's. :twisted:

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Hi,

I just fitted a set I bought in the USA and it has two CV's as usual but it also has an diff output shafts that is directly linked to the inboard CV so no adapterplate, so less weight and the benefit of having two brand new diff output shafts as well.
I have not done many miles yet but so far it is fantastic. I can really recommend it, it has transformed the car.
I choose this kit mainly based on design and to a lesser extend price.
For all you guys in the US this is the kit to have! :lol:
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:29 pm

bengalcharlie,

You did not mention where you bought the kit - a picture would have been useful.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:20 am

Hi Brian,

Sorry, I forgot. Look at www.rdent.com and you will see a picture of the set on there.
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: thor » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:26 am

Shame about the insane price of almost $ 1400 !
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:35 am

not cheap I agree but I suppose you get what you pay for and You will get 2 brand new diff output shafts with bearings as well which you do not get buying one of the other alternatives out there.
If someone is interested in a set of donuts, I can help as they only where on the car for 3000 km.
cheers
Robin

69 plus two
60 giulietta spider
57 appia saloon :D
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: