Alloy bell housing question

PostPost by: miked » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:22 am

I have question. I have the chance of an alloy bell housing but it might be wrong. I would like to use it on the S4 FHC track day car project. :D It has two starter entry points and I believe it fits lots of other fords as well as the twin cam. Do we fit these and if we do what happens with the clutch. I was told that they use cables on a lot of other applications. Is there some sort of arrangement to make our hydraulic slave cylinder fit.

Or am I on the wrong horse here and need an alloy one that is indentical to the heavy normal one.

Advise appreciated. :?

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:38 am

sounds like you've got the bellhousing the rally boys use in RS2000s, it will fit the type 9 5speed or type E heavy duty 4speed gearbox. If you have a chat with Worzel on here, he's got a new type 9 modified to fit the elan for sale. to make the clutch actuation work, you just make a plate to close off the spare starter hole, with a boss to take the slave cylinder. You should be able to use the original arm.You could convert to a cable operated clutch quite easily also (no cooked slave cylinders and hydraulic fluid probs)

I dont think it will fit the Elan type box.
Out of interest, what did you pay for the alloy bellhousing?

regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:22 am

Mike, The bellhousing you are talking about will only save you 3.5kg over the original. The correct ali one will save around 4.5 kg and cost around ?350. Don't you think you could spend ?350 in a better way to up the power and diet off the 4.5kg for free (just joking)
Regards
Dave
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:26 am

Hi Mike,
sounds like you've got a few things to check out. I suggest you also check the length of the bell housing if you're going to try to use the original clutch release mechanism, just to see where the release bearing will end up relative to the clutch itself.
Easiest way is to fit a hydraulic concentric clutch release system, you will then have lots of room where the old slave cylinder was for a fat juicy exhaust manifold :D
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:26 am

Mark,

Yes i am told it is RS 2000 type, but I have not bought it yet or parted with any cash. I would be intrested in the one Worzel has if he reads this.
Will PM him!

Quite happy to do some mods for the clutch if I have the right bit to start with.

thanks Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:35 am

Hi John & Dave,

looks like we hit the button at the same time. I am moving the power up and I am concerned I dont bawk the manifold area.

Re body weight:

Me, just a slip of a lad! :lol:
Car, all non essentials will not exist. Even go kart seat! I am being a bit gready thinking I could shed some more weight for a relativley low cost with the bell housing.

John, I will check the length. Re: the clucth mechanism you mention, could you please elaborate a tad.

thanks Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:47 am

The RS 2000 bellhousing will not go onto your original gearbox, you would need a type 9 and if you wanted to use the slave cly set up you would need a BDA to Rocket bellhousing. See pics
Attachments
rocket to bda bellhousing 2.jpg and
rocket to bda bellhousing.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Mike,
it's a bit more complicated if the length of the bellhousing doesn't match your original.
Assuming it to be longer: this will pull the g/box input shaft away from the spigot bearing in the crankshaft.
If you have to fabricate a new pivot point for the clutch lever arm then forget what I said because you will attempt to achieve the same axial position of the original.
Sorry it's been a bad week TGIF :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:09 pm

Mike, Regarding manifold space round the slave cyl area, Have a look at the post below this one regarding concentric slave cylinders
Regards
Dave
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:05 pm

Yep, had a read about the cylinder and will look in the Burton book tonight.

Thanks for the pic's of the right one Brian.
and advice John & Dave.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:27 am

Brian, That alloy bellhousing you have posted the pic of is for a type 9 type box, hence the extra "bolt hole" for the selector rod at the top of the bellhousing/gearbox face. Does this also fit the elan four speed?

regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:55 am

Mark,
It is a BDA to Rocket bellhousing (BDA is based on the 711 ) and the rocket being a stronger version of the type 9 hence it will fit a T9 but would not fit the standard 4 speed 2000E etc. I posted it to show what coud be used if a type 9 was used and the standard slave cylinder set up retained.
There is an alloy bellhousing available to fit the 4 speed box and take the slave cylinder set up.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:55 am

I thought as much Brian! I was going to try and locate an "ambidextrous" alloy bellhousing for the type 9, but the mods to the gearbox made the MT75 make more sense. Still working at it though!!

regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:13 am

tower of strength wrote:the mods to the gearbox made the MT75 make more sense.

Mark, May be its been posted and I missed it but what are the gear ratio's in the MT75 ? I also dont remember Spyder quoting any ratio's but from what recall when I checked a couple of years ago they didn't seem ideal.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:37 pm

As I remember, the MT75 ratios are the same as the standard T9 box. From all the previous posts I have been studying over the past few months - it appears to be generally considered a pretty lousy first gear.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: