Right Angle Speedo Drive

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:44 pm

sgbooth wrote:Right, that was my guess, not having seen these bits before.

So the question begs ............. where is the 'sheared off' drive end now?

Is it likely to be lying in the bottom of the 'box' ?
Or
Still in the housing of the box ..... ie stopping a new one from being fitted?

?????????

Regards,
Stuart.

that twisted piece of wire with the square end is the drive piece!!! If you are brave, do the following, if not take the car to a garage and use a two post(wheel free ramp) raise and support the rear of the car, i would remove the wheels and use axle stands under the rear struts and additional support under the rear of the subframe, run the engine in gear and have a look at the output gear in the gearbox, if its spinning, then the problem is probably the angle drive (they do sieze) just change it!! whilst the car is lifted, atach a drill(cordless is kinder) and spin the speedo cable, get a watcher to observe the speedo, if it works, then the angle drive is your problem.
I would recomend removing the speedo cable , pulling the inner out, cleaning it in meths or thinners, drying it thoroughly and soaking it in engine oil, then refit.
I've done this on several classic cars over the years (old Fords, and triumphs)

I would say that this is how I'd tackle the problem, it's not neccessarily the best/correct way!!! :lol:

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveb1 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:14 am

Hi,

Mine looked the same as yours when I dismantled it. I just cleaned it up and put it back together. I did tap the round end lightly with a hammer to distort it slightly and then tapped it into the angle drive. I did this with the gearbox adapter removed (attached to the knurled nut).

Mine works like this for the moment. Although maybe the flexiable rod should be firmly attatched to the angle drive, time will tell.
steveb1
New-tral

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:22 pm

steveb 1,

Tonight I looked at two 5 speed boxes I have. The Lotus 5 speed has a direct drive - so no 90 degree angle !

The Elite 5 speed does have a right angle speedo drive, but the "springy thing" is two-thirds the length of the 4 speed one which is already/probably damaged.

Hmmm ...........

Seems that I'm going to have to order a 4 speed Sprint right angle drive unit (?40 ish !!), unless anyone has ideas about the "springy thing" ?

Reminds me of the '70's when starters and dynamos suddenly became
"exchange" items, rather than before, when you could buy new bushes etc

If there's one thing that annoys me with cars, it's the way we allowed this "swop-out" culture to thrive.

Wonder if the one/two man machine shop could make a viable return on the back of a recycling green ticket?

OK I've set myself up.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:15 pm

Spent part of the day trying to buy the part separately, without sucess, so rang round for a new drive unit:

Chris Neal mid ?70's inc p&p and Vat
Matty's mid ?60's ditto
Susan Miller ?30 ditto (but it's exchange)

Being half Scottish, it was not a difficult decision !

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: