goodbye gearbox?!

PostPost by: RobCapper » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:00 pm

Hi all, and merry christmas...

I know I am far from alone in suffering the terrors of a +2 5 speed gearbox, but recently, it has got even worse...
I have had trouble for some while in selecting 2nd - it just gets harder and harder, and is far from an agreeable shift when it goes click in...

Today however, whilst downshifting to 2nd, I completely fouled it up and got a horrid crunch of gears. Following this little incident, I have quite a strong alteral vibration in 2nd gear through the gearstick. The other gears remain fine, and 2nd continues to pull well etc..

Any ideas what might be causing these woes, and is there an easy fix? Or am I destined for a gearbox rebuild (and so had I better start saving up?!)

Thanks
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:22 pm

It doesn't sound too good, Rob, and if you're using the car everyday it's probably going to need some attention. It may only be the synchro that's on it's way out, but if that's worn chances are there is a fair bit more to be done. I've driven them when they're right and they're very good boxes. They will never change as quick as a 4 speed, or last as long, but they can be fun to use. But so many of them aren't, which I can only put down to poor or partial rebuilds. If you're going to get it done, have a complete job done. It will probably cost as much as a Type 9 box conversion, which is of course another option. Sue Miller has someone who rebuilds the 5 speed boxes properly, I believe.

I'm fully restoring a '74 4 speed, which was quite unusual as most by then were 5 speed cars. I have bought a 5 speed box to go in, with all associated bits, but I'm having my doubts! The old 4 speed is such a good box. Drop over some time if you want to see an Elan in many pieces!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:07 am

Rob

I agree with Marks comments on the 5 speed boxes, Ok when in good condition but many are in a poor state due to cost aad complexity of rebuilds compared to 4 speeds. However even at their best the 4 speed has a nicer change. I am happy with my 4 speed in the Elan for competition and tight twisty roads and the 5 speed in the Plus 2 for more open roads and highway cruising, the ideal combination I feel.

It sounds like syncros on the way out and / or worn bearings.

The clutch can also drag when released as the central boss on the clutch plate is fractionally to long and can foul on the end of the splines preventing adequate axial movement. This results in incomplete release and difficulty in selection especially as the synchro gets worn and weaker. If you have trouble selecting first when stationary without a couple of goes you most probably have this problem. There was a Lotus service bulletin about this issue which I saw once but have since lost, someone else may have a copy of it.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:26 am

Right, it doesn't sound good, but speaking as an eternal optimist...
I once lost all gears except reverse in my S1, it turned out to be the threaded collar on the shift lever coming loose. I believe your collar is a different design, but before a rebuild, (and I know this sounds wacky,) make sure that's not the problem.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:22 pm

I had my 5 speed rebuilt last year through Susan Miller. My box had non-existent synchro on 3rd and an appalling gearchange, vague and stiff. I have been very happy with the result and Susan was a pleasure to deal with. The change still isn't as good as my Sprint's 4 speed (probably about 80% as good) but it's fine and the tall 5th gear really suits the Plus 2's cruising ability. I also found that the synthetic oil recommended by (I think) Rohan and discussed in previous posts noticeably improved the quality of the gearchange.
I suggest you give Susan a buzz and chat to her about it.
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: