Master & Slave cylinders for clutch

PostPost by: Simmo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:12 pm

Having just stripped down and refurbished my master and slave cylinders for the Elans clutch I discovered that the internal bores have seen better days. I know that they are 5/8 and 7/8 but does anyone know where i can get a set? but more importantly does anyone know roughly how much they are?
I have also read about companys that will bore out the cylinders and refit them with a stainless steel inserts with the correct I/D. Has anyone ever done this and can they recommend anyone?
Simmo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanbaby » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:20 pm

Don?t know where you are about, but Susan Miller in England email [email protected] will be glad to sell you master & slave. They are apx 40GBP each. Others are Paul Matty, Tony Thompson...

When I was younger I tried to overhaul hydraulic brake and clutch parts on my various british cars to save money. It never really worked out in the long run. Better get new genuine parts.
J. Grams, Germany

?70 Elan S4/SE
elanbaby
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:44 am

In North America, you may want to try Sierra Specialty Automotive. They do brake and clutch master/slave cylinders. Starting price around $75.00; they recommend non-corroding brass liners in lieu of stainless steel. I've never used them however, so I can't comment from personal experience.

http://www.brakecylinder.com/index.htm

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint FHC
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:11 pm

Simmo wrote: I discovered that the internal bores have seen better days.

That's what cylinder hones are for.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: poiuyt » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:23 pm

I got my master and slave from Dave Bean in California. Don't remember the cost off hand. Make sure you bench bleed the master and try to get the slave turned so the bleed screw is on top when you bleed. Otherwise you can pump a gallon of fluid through and never get the air out!

Here's a mystery - why the hell does the master cylinder have the hose connection on top, where the hose has to do a 180, leaving an un-bleedable loop in the hose? This could have been avoided if the connection was on the bottom with a bleed screw on top!.

Steve Becker
69 S4
Steve B.<br>1969 Elan S4
poiuyt
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: