SM CV Drive Shafts

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:50 pm

I have these fitted on my +2 and am very happy with them. There is, however, one minor niggle which you should look out for.

The CV boots on my shaft were secured with cable ties when I received them. There was insufficent clamping pressure on the larger of the two ties, so grease would work its way out of the joint over a period of time.

This was worse on the joints next to the rear brake disc - at high speed the grease is centrifuged against the boot, and can work out unless the seal is very good. At one stage recently I had flecks of grease on the brake calipers and the inside of the rear wheelarch. Fortunately the pads and disc were not affected.

The CV joints are sourced from a Ford Sierra, so I asked at my local Ford garage for any replacements. Sure enough, there is a Ford part available - a large and small steel clip for both ends of each boot - they cost less then ?1 each. The clips are single use and are secured by squeezing a loop closed with a pair of pliers. They are much better then cable ties.

Even this proved not to be enough on one joint as the boot had not formed a seal - it has probably stretched a bit. I am confident that a clean up, a thin layer of RTV and a new steel clip will fix it.

Don't let the above put you off getting these drive shafts- I still like them! :D

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Dave,

By SM you mean Susan Miller ?

If so, then I'm surprised, since the ones I bought from her last year had the metal clips you described.

Better stick my head under and check them out though......... just to be sure.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dave_Newcastle » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:41 pm

Dave

Having just finished fitting mine, and the car (also a plus2) still up in the air I have been able to inspect mine easily.

The inner ends of the boot (small diameter) each have a metal clip. The outer end of the boot doesn't seem to have a clip at all, instead slotting into/under a gold coloured piece which in turn is held by a circumference of allen headed bolts/setscrews.

Mine were bought 1 month ago - very pleased with how they looked and fitted. Looking forward to seeing how they drive.

Dave
Dave_Newcastle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:14 am

Yes, I did mean Susan Miller.

I am glad that metal clips are now being used. I just had plastic cable ties on mine from 3 years ago.

In my case I think that grease worked its way between the boot and the metal rim on the CV joint. Unless these surfaces are clean to start with I believe the boot might move slightly as the joint moves. This might result in the pumping action on the grease.

If the RTV ploy fails on my "stretched" boot these is always super glue to try! :D

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: