Mating Engine and Gearbox

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:23 pm

All of my experience is with my +2S, however I agree with Gary that mating the engine and gearbox first, and then inserting the assembly into the chassis is easier. I do this with the cylinder head off so that the lifting gear can be securely attached by way of the tapped holes for the head bolts. This also gives you a bit more freedom to keep items like the speedometer cable out of the way to avoid accidental crushing.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28 am

Hi Russ

I have always preferred to put the engine in separately from the gear box. Easier to do as you dont have to juggle the long lump of the assembly into place via a complex tilt and twist process. Never had any problems getting the engine and gear box to join just line it up carefully with a equal gap at the bell housing flange all around, a little jiggling and they slip together.

On the other hand I once put the head on a block in the engine bay and trapped the speedo cable between the two destroying the cable and damaging the head face-- every method has its ups and down.

If you have enough practice you develop your favorite approach -- if your lucky you dont have that much practice.

cheers
Rohan!
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: