A Different Squeak !

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:35 pm

Hi all,

Have been meaning to deal with this for a while, since it's really peeing me off now.

Coming from the top end of the steering column and happens when the wheel is turned even a little.

Can see nothing in either the Manual or Brian's book about lubrication (but probably missed it).

Any ideas, please?

Oops, just noticed I've moved up to fourth gear (and still asking daft questions).

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:41 pm

Is it the column, or the wheel boss touching the shroud? If it is the shroud, the best approach is to adjust the shroud so it no longer touches. Not sure about the column itself. When landrovers do this you have to change a bush; no idea whether it's the same on a lotus. Is there any play?

best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:41 pm

On a +2 you can adjust the reach/length of the steering column by loosening the clamp that holds the upper and lower parts of the column and then pulling the steering wheel carefully towards you. I presume that the baby elan has the same arrangement. This should stop the shroud rubbing if this is the cause, otherwise it's probably the bushes inside the column itself. Have a look at the "embarrased but still alive" thread - I've posted the diagram of the +2 column from the manual. I guess a little grease on the column/bushes may help although you'd probably need to pull the column out to do this. If I recall correctly this is simple once you've undone the clamp.

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:38 pm

Could it be the back of the steering wheel boss rubbing against the top of the aluminium column shroud (mine does this sometimes) ? If so, adjust the inner column up as described above.
Or perhaps it is the horn brush/pencil thingy as it rubs on the brass disc, if you have this type of horn button arrangement ? A little copper grease may stop it (but hopefully not stop the horn working!).

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Stuart,

There is a spring-loaded contact in the wheel hub that rides on a contact ring in the steering column. Mine squeaks. Easy to diagnose: remove the horn push and pull out the contact (or more precisely, the plastic sleeve that contains the contacts and spring). If the squeak disappears, there's your culprit. Powdered graphite on the contact ring quieted it for a while, but not permanently.

This is on an S2 two-seater.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:49 am

Ditto to what Andrew suggests.

It's probably the spring loaded contact. I know that's what
squeaks on mine....when I have steering!

Peter :?
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:24 am

I had this on my S4 it turned out to be the column bushes. The inner steering column fits inside the outer column bearing on a couple of bushes, one at the top and one at the bottom. I took off the steering wheel and put a squirt or two of engine oil down the gap between inner and outer column. It has not squeaked for two years now.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: