+2 Clutch Slave Cylinder Removal

PostPost by: pmallinson » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi

I have to change the seals in my clutch slave cylinder and have already removed the pipe, the spring and the 'C' clip but cannot shit the cylinder out !!!

Any tricks or advice out there ?/

Cheers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:28 pm

Peter
Have you left the F out in error or are you actually trying that.....

John :wink:

P.S. an overnight soak with WD40 helps,as does a little heat....
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:35 pm

John, You really are a wag! Seriously ,why repair a slave cylinder? For the money I would rather buy a new one and be confident that it wouldn't fail the next day. ( Well nearly).
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:32 pm

John is right about the overnight soak, then rotate it a bit, back and forth, should come right out! Whether you rebuild or replace this would be a good time to fit a heat shield, see 'c-clip question thread in things in common.
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:46 am

Hi Peter!

Back in teh 'auld sod' in time for the rain???

Only one comment....get a new slave cylinder, they're relatively
cheap!

Bleeding the clutch etc. is a pain, so remove one more
unknown...(that being....is the rebuild enough for the old
slave to work correctly).

I've spent a year messing with my cluch hydrolics to get
to teh stage where I just changed the master and slave out
for new ones.

Save yourself some grief.

Will you be in Ireland in June?

Peter
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:40 pm

Over the past 30 years of owning and maintaining British sports cars, I've had great luck rebuilding the hydraulics. When you think about it, it's not metal rubbing against metal like a piston ring against a cylinder. It's rubber rubbing against an aluminum cylinder. As soft as aluminum is, it holds up pretty well against rubber. And when there is wear or pitting, a good honing can take care of that. I just can't see binning the entire aluminum cylinder, no matter how inexpensive a replacement is, when it's really the small rubber bits that wear out.

So Peter and Chris, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I won't attempt to try to persuade either of you to change it. But the next time you replace a master or slave, rather than adding the old one to a land fill, please send it my way. I'll pay the freight.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hegg » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Frank Howard wrote:But the next time you replace a master or slave, rather than adding the old one to a land fill, please send it my way. I'll pay the freight.

Ditto that. I've had great luck rebuilding the hydraulics on my Brit-mobiles also, and if you're just going to junk one, I could use a spare. As far as getting that piston out, I've usually just blown some compressed air in the pipe inlet and it comes out without a struggle.
1970 Lotus Elan +2, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2006 Lotus Elise, all for sale.
Hegg
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 am

peterako wrote:Hi Peter!

Will you be in Ireland in June?

Peter

I have had great success in changing the rubbers on a whole load of classics both brakes and clutch so this will be my way forwards IF I can get the slave cylinder out without damage today ?

Peter I shall be in Ireland in June (back on the 7th I think) Is there some function going on ? Will be busy for the first 5 or 6 days after I get back home as Mum and other Family over for a visit but free after that !!

Cheers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:19 pm

Well Once the cylinder was freed off it came out no bother (wasn't sure if thee was a flat on it so didn't want to turn till I'd asked you guys)

Fitted new rubbers and refitted with plenty of copper grease for next time, opened bleed screw 2 pumps of the peddle and tightened up and bobs your uncle as they say !!

Cheers I love a happy ending
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:51 pm

Another example of ..... "Luck of the Irish !" ?

Rest assured, with things Lotus, your time for a 'come-uppance' will not be that far away (vbg)!

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: