Position of Gear Lever

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed May 09, 2007 4:52 pm

I have just noticed that the gearlever is not in the lateral centre of the hole in the tunnel ? it is way over to the left. Looking at the manual I see that the gear box mounting has a tapered slot into which gearbox fits. This week I intend to jack-up the box and lever the unit to a central position.

However, thinking about it a little, I?ve come to the conclusion that there may be a tendency for the mounting to want to move in the across the tapered slot due to engine torque ? particularly with a few racing starts at the traffic lights to beat my nephew in his Boxster.

Does anyone have thoughts on this matter?

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:02 am

There is a bolt that goes up through the mounting into the gear box that should hold it in the middle, it should not be able to move sideways. If the lever is over to the left it could be because the exhaust engine mount has collpapsed allowing the engine to tilt to the left.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat May 12, 2007 6:35 pm

Rohan,

Thanks for the reply. You?re quite correct ? there is a bolt through the g/box mount, and the unit is reasonably central to the chassis.

I had looked at the engine mounts and dismissed them as they looked good. However, looking back at some historical posts, maybe I should consider them more closely as I don?t really know what they should look like.
I took the liberty of copying someone?s picture for reference (copy attached), and now I look at mine more closely ? they are not exactly the same.

My mounts do not have voids ? they are solid rubber filling the engine metals. Maybe I have uprated versions.
The carb side mount looks similar to mine for the relationship of the holes, but the exhaust side mount is not. My exhaust mount has the lower holes of both metals in-line. Maybe the one in the picture has collapsed.
I measured the chassis and the mounting holes are exactly in-line for height. The carb side mount raises the engine 17mm higher than the chassis hole, and the exhaust side mount stays in-line. If my exhaust mount was the same as the picture, the engine would be lowered in relation to the chassis.
Maybe it would help a little if I put a Stromberg mount on the carb side as I don?t use the standard Weber air box, but this would only move the gear lever a few milimeters.
I?ve also now noticed that one of the exhaust pipes is very close to the edge of the footwell ? maybe too close.

I?m now beginning to wonder if the gear lever was ever central to the hole.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
Attachments
Engine mounts.jpeg and
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:46 am

Brian

TTR sells uprated mounts with the void at the top filled in, that may be what you have.

From your description the mounts you have look Ok. The exhaust side one in the photo has collpased a little from the look of it.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:40 am

Brian

Another thought

Have you checked the gear lever connection to the gear box under the rubber belows. If the lever is not tight to the gearbox shaft then it can swivel and move to the left or right.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: