Transmission rear seal R&R?

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sat May 12, 2007 2:14 pm

Is it possible to remove and replace the seal at the rear of the transmission tail housing without removing the extension housing? The seal is flush with the back of the housing, it seems like I could get a hooked tool or screwdriver under it and pop it out, and tap in a new one. It's not clear from the manual how much dismantling is required before the extension housing comes off; I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.

On the other hand, the driveshaft yoke is worn and just a bit loose in the bushing, so replacing the bushing would probably be a good idea, if it's not too difficult to the the extension housing off.

Any insights most welcome!
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat May 12, 2007 2:53 pm

Yes you can replace the rear seal without removing the tailhousing and assuming the g/box is out of the car. I normally take a screwdriver and grind one side of the blade to a radius, then lightly tap the screwdriver down the outside of the seal (radius to outside) then lever out the seal.
You must just be careful not to lever too hard on the gearbox as it is easy to break off a piece of the gearbox (cast iron beaks quite easily)
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun May 13, 2007 12:05 pm

Thanks Brian, that worked fine for both the rear and front seals.

Now I have to see if I can get a new driveshaft yoke or have the old one reconditioned somehow, so the rear seal has a good surface to work on.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: