Rear parcel shelf difficult to remove - Sprint FHC

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun May 13, 2007 9:16 pm

I thought an easy job this morning was to remove the rear parcel shelf prior to dismantling the rear suspension.

However there the shelf is reluctant to come out - there is not enough clearance between the rear screen rubber and the fibreglass panel behind the quarter trim - see attached pic. Presumably the shelf was originally fitted before the rear screen was fitted.

I don't want to remove the rear screen or damage the shelf trim so am proposing to nibble away enough fibreglass at the rear of the panel behind the quarter trim to enable me to ease the front of the parcel shelf through.

Does this sound OK or anyone have any better ideas?

Richard
Attachments
rearshelf.jpg and
Troublesome parcel shelf
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:27 pm

Richard,

Once all the screws are removed, lift the rear shelf up towards the rear screen, one end at a time. You should find that one end gives more clearance than the other (least that's what I found).

You now need to tease/force that end both up and forward (towards the front). Once it's free, you're laughing !

That's what I've found, anyway.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Mon May 14, 2007 6:39 am

Richard
When I replaced my rear bulkhead I had to remove the rear parcel shelf as well.
It definately come out with the window in place but like Stuart says it is a very tight fit.
If I remember correctly I did have to flex the parcel shelf slightly

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Mon May 14, 2007 7:21 am

Stuart/Clive

Thanks - I have freed the shelf from the clips and brackets so can move it horizontally but the trim "lip" at the front of the shelf will not fit thro the gap between the screen rubber and the fibregkass panel despite building up a sweat! I guess I could flex the shelf in the middle but I am concerned this will crease the black vinyl which is in good condition [at the moment!]

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: