What color is the pumpkin/diff painted -

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Does any body know for sure what color ( if any) was the pumpkin painted ?
Mine has a red-oxide looking paint in the inside and when cleaned up i saw traces of more red oxide on the outside.

Ford painted some of their domestic diff noses this red/brown but I don't about the English parts or if lotus went to the the trouble to paint the diff's ( the other drive train parts have there lotus colors intact)
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi George

I don't know anything for certain but I think all of the diffs I have seen are the red oxide prime color. Thatr is, unless I painted them to what ever prefference I had, or maybe what ever paint was in stock at the time. Here are a couple of photos of an oily covered diff, I can't be certain if its out of a Cortina or Elan but I think its out of one of the Elan's. Maybe early cars were painted to give the impression of the value add (right out of a rattle can) but later on, they most certanly took them straight from Ford and put them in.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Hey guys, does it really matter what colour the diff housing is?
Col.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 pm

Thanks Gary -

I thought so, and used a can of what I think may be a match once it gets a coat of oil on it - There are traces of the old pain on the output shaft donut stars.

Obviously got the thing a-part - used a little heat and bigger piece of wood.

Unit looked good so its going back together -

George
Attachments
pumpkin.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: