+2 Differential OP shafts

PostPost by: PWTrusty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Hello,
I have a 72 Federal +2 which will likely have the rotoflex doughnuts exchanged for CV joints in the next few weeks. A friend with a (1969)+2 installed the same equiptment a few weeks ago and recently had one of the differential output shafts fracture.
Is there a history of such failures? Does the CVJ impose an unusual amount of stress (torque) on these shafts. Any point to sending these off to an NDT lab for Magnaflux or dye penetration examination for faults?

Phil in Tennessee
PWTrusty
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 66S2 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:11 pm

Known weak point, thus the availability of stronger parts from Bean, etc. While it seems logical that the donuts would offer some 'cushion', the only stub axle I've seen break was on a donut-car. Mine has CV joints with stronger stub axles and no problems. I raced it that way for many years.

Go for CV joints if only to get off the 'pogo stick'.
66S2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:28 pm

Bad news, yes the output shafts can break especially with cv shafts not providing any cusioning. Good news, with the introduction of the Big Valve engine they were upgraded and you`ll find that yours are quite a bit thicker than your pal`s `69 ones.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chequeredflagracingjoe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi I can get you what you need at a great price give me a call. A friend of mine makes these parts and more. 818 350 6222 or jsiam1@earthlink dot net thanks Joe
Team owner
Chequered Flag Racing
Racing VARAs Fastest FP SPITFIRE
Soon to be racing a CP 1 Lotus Elan
WWW.chequeredflagracing.net
chequeredflagracingjoe
New-tral

PostPost by: Carlos A » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Joe:

Your post here just like the one on the aluminum radiators tell us that you are selling some interesting parts, but the posts are vague enough so that we do not know what parts, what are the specifications of them and what is the price. Your WEB page does not provide us with more info. A little irritating in my opinion. Why don?t you post some pictures and information, including prices (here or in your WEB site). You will be making us and your business a great favor.

Best

Carlos A
http://yourgarage.nbc.com/cars/Lotus1970?vehicleID=112804

BUY GAS WITHOUT ETHANOL: http://www.pure-gas.org/
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chequeredflagracingjoe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:44 pm

Carlos A I am still getting the web site completed. I will get some pictures up in a few days. If you would like some pictures and prices sooner I can email them to you just send me a email address. I have CV axle kits, Alloy front hubs, chromoly stub axles, alloy calipers, rotors and brackets to convert your Elan to 26R brakes. jsiam1@earthlink dot net thanks Joe
Team owner
Chequered Flag Racing
Racing VARAs Fastest FP SPITFIRE
Soon to be racing a CP 1 Lotus Elan
WWW.chequeredflagracing.net
chequeredflagracingjoe
New-tral

Total Online: