Elan +2S 5 speed gearbox query

PostPost by: Spinney » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:33 am

I am in the throes of purchasing an immaculate and original Elan +2S fitted with the 5 speed gearbox. I know absolutely nothing about this 'box other than I believe it used some Austin Maxi internals. Can anybody please tell me anything else about them, particularly in terms of reliability and availability of spares, which I imagine will be next to impossible to come by. Did they use a bespoke gear casing or simply tack a purpose designed 5th gear extension onto the back of the Ford 4 speed?

Also, has anybody ever substituted the Ford Type 9 or MT75 gearbox in instances of terminal failure?

The car wouldn't be used overly much but I would like to know what the options are if I encounter any problems in the future, although having said that, I want to try and keep this car as original as possible.

TIA
Spinney
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:15 am

Hi and welcome,

I have a 5 speed box in a plus 2 that i have owned for 2 years,i had some work done on the gearbox when first purchased,it has been excellent in both reliability and use ever since.Spares can be found,though i found them expensive.The over boxes you mentioned can be used as replacements so theres always an alternative if required at some stage.

Enjoy the car they are a joy to own and drive.

Cheers

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:55 am

I had a 5 speed box fitted over eight years ago in place of the Ford 4-speed (still in the shed-in case),the change is not as good as Ford but the lower 1st gear and 20% increase in top is worthwhile for everyday use (crawling traffic-motorway use) and you loose a few pounds in weight,spares are obtainable....I'd go for it..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:31 am

Had a Plus 2S130/5 for the last 25 plus years. Rebuilt it once around 90k miles and has been no problems for the last 15 years and around 30k miles ( dont do as many miles in the plus 2 as I used to). Spares a little harder to find these days and I believe at least one bearing is unobtainable but a substitute can be fitted with a little machining of a sleeve.

When in good condition the box has a light if a little vague change. Synchros are a little weak especially the 5th to 4th downchange and need matching of revs better than a lot of boxes - you cant just bang it into gear and trust the synchros to make up for crudeness of your gear changing.

Overall makes the plus 2 a very nice touring car compared to the 4 speed version when matched to the 3.55 diff. Also makes modern lower profile smaller diameter tyres ( eg 185 / 60 x 13 ) more practical

In the end if you dont like it you can probably sell the box for less than the cost of a type 9 or MT75 for conversion.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:33 am

Although the box internals are Maxi, the gearlever is Ford (cortina but I can't remember which). They do break (well mine did) at the stress raiser where the circlip goes and knowing where the spare comes from can save you lots of money.
regards
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spinney » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Thanks guys, all useful information. Does this gearbox have a bespoke casing that is peculiar to the +2 and is it aluminium or cast iron like the 4 speed?
Spinney
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 pm

Spinney wrote:Thanks guys, all useful information. Does this gearbox have a bespoke casing that is peculiar to the +2 and is it aluminium or cast iron like the 4 speed?

The Lotus 5 speed has an aluminium casing.

You might be interested to compare these pics of the Lotus 4 speed, Lotus 5 speed, and Alan Voigts T9 5 speed conversion

Alan Voigts in Wallasey and Graham Boulton in Norfolk do Lotus 5 speed rebuilds :D
Lotus 5 Speed.JPG and
Attachments
LotusFord 4 speed &T9 5 speed.JPG and
(T9 gearlever shown here is incorrect, top section should be to the rear of lower section)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:21 pm

another place to speak to about a rebuild is C.T.S., competition transmision services,look for www.thegearboxman.co.uk. they are near luton,north london area. no connection to me other than they are rebuilding mine for pick up end of july. not a bad price at all in fact very good,and very knowledgeable.some times found doing explanation articles for main stream car mags,particulary ford types.

maybe they can help.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spinney » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info and pics. As far as I know, there is no problem with this gearbox but I am just doing some research in case any work is needed in the future. I have owned twin cams before and am confident about carrying out any repair/rebuild work that may be necessary on the car but the gearbox was the one unknown part of the equation, so it is encouraging to know they are reasonably reliable and that spares are still available. I was concerned as this gearbox was peculiar to the Elan and therefore relatively few were built so spares would, I feared, be as rare as hens teeth.

The car I am buying is a very original example in superb condition and I've wanted one for years. I nearly bought one in 1978 but decided against it at that time so was lucky to find this one in such good condition. I'm really looking forward to picking it up. It will be interesting to compare the ownership experience with my Elise.
Spinney
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Spinney:

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a pretty good picture of the standard Lotus five speed and a few options.

To add to your options & comfort level, I have received a rebuilt MT75 gearbox from Spyder Engineering. I am in Canada, so I went with a supplied rebuilt unit with everything that may be required (I hope). They have details on their web site. The shipped package included starter motor, matching bell housing, clutch slave hydraulic line, and hopefully any required changes to shift linkage to match to the Plus 2 body. As I am in NA, gets a little vague for me when the guys talk details about fitment of these transmissions from UK available Ford sedans, as generally we did not get the source cars here, they had different model names, or were relatively uncommon. Didn't catch your location, but if you are in the UK the archives appear to have lots of info regarding sources for MT75's and Type 9's within your "home market".

Have not installed the MT75 in my Plus 2 ('71 Federal LHD) yet, so details to follow over the next few months. Anyway, this appears to be a relatively available source of a substitute transmission in case of terminal failure of the stock five speed and/or lack of parts. Not sure from personal experience yet, but issues from archives appear to be whether Type 9's and/or MT75's will fit easily in stock Lotus frame or only within Spyder frame; I have a Spyder frame so hoping not an issue for me.

There is a related thread here recently on the relative merits of the ratio's in various substitute boxes, but I leave this to folks way brighter than me. As I often remind myself, I am just a parts changer , not a mechanic or an automotive design engineer. :)

Hope this puts your mind at ease regarding future options, and you enjoy the car you are considering.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:24 am

stugilmour wrote:Spinney:
Not sure from personal experience yet, but issues from archives appear to be whether Type 9's and/or MT75's will fit easily in stock Lotus frame or only within Spyder frame; I have a Spyder frame so hoping not an issue for me.

The external dimensions of the Spyder frame are the same as the Lotus chassis; as the Spyder is built with 1" box sections it is approximately 1" smaller all round internally. I did the prototype installation of Alan Voigts T9 in a Spyder +2. It's tight, but it fits :mrgreen:
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:02 pm

I have a standard type 9 in mine with a cranked forward gearlever it's been in there for 10 years or so now, to fit this you need to cut a hole in the top of the chassis (and reinforce around it) and re-shape the front plate of the backbone so the top is an arch like the bottom, also I used a Left hand drive sierra bell housing to put the starter on the right side.

It works a treat and makes a big difference to refinement and fuel economy.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: