Gearbox swop?

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 pm

The speedo was dead on ..Total agreement with the gps. Which was the same with the ford box..

'tis braw....

Al'...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Another little update @ 1000 mls approx...

Changed the oil again and this time filled it with red line MTL. What a difference! It is beginning to feel like a st'd 4 speed box shift wise . Well happy with it and fast cruising? Well, just a huge difference.

Another mod' just being done at the moment is replacing the security spring (Shorter gear lever remember) with another of same size but less strong. I suspect that will help again... Checked out doing this with Graham Boulton before I started. He said fine to do.

I will keep you all posted as to how it drives soon. Hopefully testing it tomorrow. Weather permitting!....

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:10 am

alexblack13 wrote:Hopefully testing it tomorrow. Weather permitting!....

Alex B.... 8)

According to all reports I've seen and heard, weather should be not only "permitting" but even encouraging! :shock: Enjoy. 8) 8) 8)
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Weather cleared up nice this afternoon so I took it out to try the softer indent / security spring. What a difference that makes. I recon' its a fine mod to do if running the 5 speed box with a modified/shortened 5 speed lever or indeed the 4 speed one converted to fit.

Its brilliant. The car takes off like a rocket and is (Ahemmm) doing 85mph at 3.3K rpm, and still takes off like a bat out of hell. Amazing..I think it could give my Porsche a fright. :shock: Not that I am about to try it!! :roll:

Washed and polished and back on it's perch..

Al' .......
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:47 pm

alexblack13 wrote:HiWeather cleared up nice this afternoon so I took it out to try the softer indent / security spring. What a difference that makes. I recon' its a fine mod to do if running the 5 speed box with a modified/shortened 5 speed lever or indeed the 4 speed one converted to fit.

Alex,

I've clearly missed something - so to save me trawling back through all this again, remind me exactly how and what you've done with the indent spring.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Replaced it with one about half as strong. Much shorter lever now = not as strong a spring required.

What a difference. No longer have to pull it out of 5th for E.G.

Transformed the change feel...

AB... :wink:
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:04 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Replaced it with one about half as strong. Much shorter lever now = not as strong a spring required.

What a difference. No longer have to pull it out of 5th for E.G.

Transformed the change feel...

Can it be done in-situ?
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi Brian, Guys...

Only just! You need to remove the gearbox mounting bolts and push the box over to the drivers side and 'wedge' it there. Then take out the M6 setscrews and remove the cover/spring/ and limit stop (a small tubular spacer). A real fiddle this but it can be done.. Just!

Select your spring. Don't over do it with too soft a spring. Aim for about 60-70 % at the same length.

Now the fiddly bit. I used a short spacer made from rubber hose to hold the ass'y tight into place whilst I re-fitted the setscrews. This is essential as you need a silicone gasket applied to the cover & need to get this into place 1st time without too much fiddling. I might have been lucky, but using both hands I managed to position it and compress the spring, & slide the spacer into place between it and the chassis before I refitted the fasteners.

Job Done, and well worth the effort! The shift is great now. Still running in I am sure and a wee bit notchy, but getting better all the time as it runs in. I might remove the fully synth red-line lub' and put in some more 20/50 for another 1K mils or so, just to aid the bedding in of the baulk rings. 1st to 2ND is still slightly crunchy but I don't rush it & It's getting better every time I drive the car. Its going like the wind!

What a difference!!! Delighted with it.. Have fun .. And good luck. It can be done!

Al' ......
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:23 pm

Guys, I'm resurrecting this great old thead on the Lotus 5 speed because I have a few questions. I've
read through this many times and most likely I missed it but is the 5 speed bellhousing a real requirement?

If so, how different, like the measurement front to back, are the bells? My thread "Eclat 5 speed gearbox"
has the 4 speed gearbox attached with an adapter plate and it certainly looks like it could work.
lotus-gearbox-f37/eclat-speed-box-t34851.html

It looks like the 4 speed bellhousing might be too shallow, ie, the input shaft of the box will be too far forward.
Anyway, any input on this is good. Thanks!
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:55 pm

My rough sketches from the time shows the 4speed bell to be 173mm front to back and the 5speed 196mm.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks Brian.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075