5 Speed Gearbox Removal

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:57 pm

Unfortunately my 5 speed box on my 1973 130/5 needs a rebuild so it needs to come out. It says in the manual to disconnect the propshaft at the diff flange and then when the engine and box are removed far enough out of the engine bay then to unbolt the propshaft from the gearbox flange. However I've been told that it is possible to undo the collar at the spline just rearward of the u/j on the gearbox and split the propshaft there making sure it is marked so that it goes back in exactly the same rotational position. This sounds fine but where is the access hole in the body/chassis? I've taken the drivers seat out expecting to find a big rubber bung behind the transmission tunnel insulation and carpet but there isn't one nor it seems is there one in the passenger side either. Can anyone help or have I been given incorrect information?
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:59 pm

Simon,you are quite correct,it is easier to unscrew the sliding spline collar than the four bolts,just make sure you mark them properly beforehand.
As for access i cut two 3" holes in the bottom of the chassis,joined them and made a covering plate,easy-peasey if you don't mind a bit of butchery.
As for propper access holes,I don't think they exist

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:33 am

There is an access hole in the standard Lotus chassis on the right hand side of the centre tunnel adjacent to the front U/J in the prop shaft. The hole is big enough to get one hand through but hard to do much work through.

When I had the orginal Lotus chassis I followed the manual instructions and disconnected the prop shaft first at the differental, then removed the engine and then pulled the gear box and prop shaft forward.

The Spyder space frame chassis that I now have enables access through holes in the bottom closing plate of the centre spine.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: