Pinion oil seal

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:38 am

I know you're not doing the seals but I came across this photo of home made spider puller.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... .jpg%22%3E
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks Mark. Just what I should be making, although I suspect the real issue is I don't have a suitable sliding weight.

Just a thought - could an engine hoist be used to pull the bearing out with a suitable cross brace under it?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:06 am

Yes but impact reduces the force required very considerably.
I expect that a couple of good smart smacks are all it takes with the right kit.
But you're not doing the seals!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 pm

(Duplicate post deleted)
Last edited by JonB on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:33 pm

No indeed. So I filled the diff with new oil and thought about how best to get it into position. After all, it is quite heavy and I'm lying on my back to do it. Tricky.

In the end I used a piece of ply to make a slide up which the diff could be manhandled. I laid the plywood on the nearside wishbone and used a webbing strap to maintain position as I hoisted it up the slide.

img_4468.jpg and

When I'd got the diff to the top, I put the jack under the wishbone to keep it in place.

img_4469.jpg and

Then it was a matter of rolling under the diff and using both hands to lift it roughly into position. I fitted the brace bar at this point, put the D shaped washers on top, then inserted the bolts with a little manipulation. Then used wooden wedges to keep the diff in place. After that, got into the car and fitted the washers and top nuts (finger tight), then used a 14mm spanner wedged against the fuel tank strap to hold each nut in place. Out of the car, back underneath, torque the nuts up tightly, hey presto.

Next up, the U/J bolts. I gave these a clean, along with their nuts. One is a setscrew! Back under the car, lined up the marks on the diff and propshaft flanges and fitted the bolts, with the nuts finger tight. Then applied threadlock to the exposed threads and torqued the nuts up as hard as possible.

Bolted the stabiliser bars to the chassis. Looks like the bushes will need replacing after all - there is a crack in one - but this can be done without removing the diff.

Back to the bench and I found out that one of my doughnut bolts has lost its thread. I couldn't get the nut off as it was turning but not unwinding. Persevered and it came off, but the bolt and nut are both done for. I had a closer look at the spare doughnuts. They don't all look good to me. Hmm, I think the Universe is trying to say something to me, and it appears to be "fit CV joints".

About that time I gave up. Very cold / damp in my garage, and besides, it's time for lunch. At least the diff is back in, though!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Be careful to check that the different special washers on the Torque Rods to the Diff lower ears are correct.
Also the Torque Rods to Chassis have the special cone shaped nuts to stop moment + half locknuts.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:49 pm

Fortunately, I didn't remove the torque rods from the diff, wasn't necessary, and I noticed the bolt head shape. Nuts go on the inside of the Spyder chassis.

I do seem to have "inherited" a nut from somewhere, though. It looks like one of the half height locknuts from the front of the chassis. I certainly do not recall taking it off the rear end. Or the front, for that matter.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:51 pm

To get the diff out of my 2-seater, I clamp the nut in the boot with a mole wrench then take the bolt out from underneath using a socket set with both extension bars in series and maybe the universal joint that is part of my socket set.

I presume this is also possible on a plus 2

~
If a previous owner had put the a-frame bolts to chassis in with the heads to the outside you will not be able to get them out to remove the a-frame as the bolts will foul on the body. If so you will have to jack up the rear as high as possible to allow the a-frame to droop as far as possible and get the diff out over the top of the a-frame.
Last edited by billwill on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Yes, but no need for a mole grip (probably wouldn't fit anyway). Just a ring spanner braced against the fuel tank strap. (On the Plus 2 the fuel tank is above the diff.) Plus socket extensions of course.

Turned out to be much easier than I thought. Lucky!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Ring spanners fall off, mole wrench doesn't.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Not on a Plus 2. The soundproofing mat keeps it in place.

Naturally, YMMV. But this worked well for me.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:36 pm

A productive day - good to hear
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Any tips on removing the old seal, mine seems quite well seated?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Last but one post on first page of this thread suggests spearing with screwdriver and levering out which is fairly standard procedure.
Or drill and screw in self tappers to lever from sides.
Last edited by MarkDa on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:50 am

MarkDa wrote:Last but one post on first page of this thread suggests sparring with screwdriver and leering out which is fairly standard procedure.
Or drill and screw in self tappers to lever from sides.

Thanks, Mark, I think I was just being a little too delicate. Out now!

20180311_195904.jpg and
Pinion oil seal removed

20180311_153549.jpg and
Differential pinion oil seal

JonB - my diff oil didnt look quite as good as yours!
20180310_162943.jpg and

All - was the red case with yellow side stripes typical?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: