Clutch Release Bearing

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:06 pm

was thrust bearing noise only when you started to press the pedal and then disappeared with your foot off the pedal ? If so then the thrust bearing has completely left contact with the pressure plate pad so you did have a gap, all then points to being unlucky with a bad bearing quality, if the noise was constant then check the length of the carrier to be sure you don't have the carrier for finger pressure plate type which will constantly have been touching your pressure plate pad, I am sure the dealers SJS will tell you the differences in length of the two, it's worth the question to rule it out, to agree also with Craven & sticking cylinders, when I refitted our engine after replacing full clutch assembly, on pressing the pedal it was jammed solid and had been working correctly before removing the engine to fit a new ring gear, the clutch never having been a problem just replacing assembly as a matter of course sent my mind to what has gone wrong in there ??? The engine came out without the gearbox so hydraulics were not dismantled ! Answer nothing ! It was the master cylinder seized solid after 6 months of non use, still full of fluid and 12 months previously re rubbered, hence it was binned and master cylinder replaced

4 speed
https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... Q6007Z.htm

5 speed
https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... Q0046Z.htm
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:32 pm

My bet is that the cause is just a failure of the poor quality bearing that all the "reputable suppliers" sell these days.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:08 pm

I'm hoping... and all signs are pointing towards, a duff bearing. Originally when fitted and adjusted there was no noise and a gap at the actuating rod - you could feel the gap by moving the arm. No noise for over a year. Driving off the ferry in September I felt a clunk and then noise when foot down... initially. Then soon after, intermittent noise when foot off the clutch pedal. A proper clackety clackety clackety graunching noise. You could stop the noise by dipping the clutch pedal momentarily. It was quieter in the morning or if the car had rested (2000 miles in a week) when perhaps the bearing cooled onto the carrier? Once driving you could feel through the pedal a throb and crunch.
Now I have the bearing out the theory of Nigel (co-driver) and I is that as the bearing broke up it would occasionally seize or jam then release as you dipped the clutch and the coverplate span up the bearing. I can replicate this on the bench with a tap/bash.
When we came off the ferry Nigel thought that was it...game over. But as I said, we did over 2000 miles down to Angouleme to see the racing... and back.
Anyway...just ordered new carrier and RHP bearing.
Will let you know how it goes.... this has been a nice long historic thread.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 pm

I think all contributors to the thread will be interested in how everything pans out and hope for a happy ending !
Good luck
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Neal Stoul » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:06 am

The release bearing on my 1967 S3 Elan was replaced with one from Paul Matty in 2019 as a precaution while the engine was out. It lasted less than 5000 miles. Engine out again. This time I fitted an 'uprated' one from Tony Thompson (photo attached). This has just started making ominous noises (only when the pedal is depressed) after just 500 miles! I took exceptional care to make sure it was correctly fitted and adjusted as I really didn't want to be pulling out the engine yet again. So I'm not very happy - especially as there was nothing wrong with my original, which had been working just fine for (literally) decades. Can anyone please tell me where I can get a really good sound quality bearing?
Bill
Attachments
DSC06534.JPG and
Neal Stoul
New-tral

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:31 am

I'm very sorry to hear this Neil... especially as I ordered a TT bearing too... back in 2019!... unfortunately due to Covid lockdowns, and a two house move and restoration I've (ashamedly) yet to drive with the new bearing. I can't advise I'm afraid but I'll be watching what is said here. I've also put the original semi-close gearbox back in thinking there may have been an issue with the 'new' gearbox.
Good luck - very frustrating.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:23 am

I am surprised a RHP branded bearing failed so rapidly, the no name brand bearings can be dodgy as you previously experienced but not generally branded ones. I dont know where TTR is sourcing these from and you can just be unlucky but I would check for other issues and also talk with TTR to see whether the bearing may be a cheap knock off in a copy RHP box.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: