Differential Driveshaft Bearing Removal

PostPost by: Gopherit » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:38 pm

diff-shaft-bearing-extraction.jpg and
This may or may not help people!
I have RD Enterprises CV driveshafts and am currently stripping everything down. My notes indicated putting the integral bearings into the diff case required quite a lot of persuasion, so I was anticipating some effort to remove them. Note that with the RD CV shaft arrangement the driveshaft and bearing are integral with the joint itself , so the Colin Croucher slide hammer approach in not possible without dismantling the CV joint.

I asked RD if they had any advice - got an answer "tap gently until they come out". I didn't like this idea so rummaged through my brain (small) and then toolbox (large) for a better approach.

Eventually found I could reverse my track rod joint splitter and apply outward force quite easily. Means putting on a bit of force then rotating 180deg but non-traumatic and bearing came out nicely. 2 applications 180der appart before a little sound indicating the bearing had stated to move. Picture explains better I think.
It's not a rehearsal
Gopherit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 am

Once the Circlip that holds the Bearing is removed i use a Sliding Hammer on the Drive Shaft.
With CVs i would think remove CV Bolts first so you can then attach Sliding Hammer to Output Flange.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:13 pm

an old/spare drive shaft makes a great 'slide hammer'

I would be a bit concerned about applying load which is not concentric in case it damaged the bearing housing
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:26 pm

sure looks like the flange is bolted on.....
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:54 pm

I have found applying a little heat around the casting where the bearing is retained, releases the tension on the bearing and the stub axle will slide out easily.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 pm

Maybe on one that has been out recently but no way on earth when they have some grime, corrosion and loctite on. As Jon says, a slide hammer is required that pulls square. I have one with a big weight on and have had significant heat and half a dozen slams with an 18 inch slide hammer shaft (with a weight that would pull you out of bed). Done this on numerous diffs, out of car.
:D

Yes, it is made from an old shaft.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gopherit » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Ithink some of you are missing the point. The RD CV diff output shafts are integral with the joint. To use a slide (Greek screwdriver) requires dismantling the CV joint, not a course I wished to pursue.

Both my bearings came out with relatively little applied force - like I said, apply a little force, remove, rotate 180 Deg and repeat until it comes out.
It's not a rehearsal
Gopherit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:54 am

If you rotate the shaft it changes nothing.
the outer race of the bearing does not rotate. You need to change the position of the extraction tool
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:34 pm

I just looked on RD's site

they are bolted together as is apparent in the pic here.

Not to say this method will not work, obviously it does, but I think it would be easier to unbolt the flange and use a standard puller.

I do find it odd that you would need new bearings as they are not very heavily loaded
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:11 pm

gus wrote:I just looked on RD's site

they are bolted together as is apparent in the pic here.

Not to say this method will not work, obviously it does, but I think it would be easier to unbolt the flange and use a standard puller.

I do find it odd that you would need new bearings as they are not very heavily loaded

That's what i said above unbolt BUT use a Sliding Hammer :wink: :wink:
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: