Easiest Way to drain and refill Elan S2 diff.

PostPost by: loueelotus » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi all, Simple question .. Before I start working on refilling the diff.. what is the easiest way to refill the diff on a Elan S2?.. possibly drilling a hole in the boot or what ever you guys think is the best...

Regards,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
Colin Chapman’s immortal words ‘Simplify, then add lightness’
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:27 pm

I use a short length of plastic tube going to the bottom of the bottle and a tight fit in the spout to make a squeeze bottle, for topping up the gearbox and diff.

It helps to be able to work from a pit. :)

Make a note of how much you add, and the mileage, to estimate your leakage, if any, between top-ups
Attachments
img_2682.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 pm

After using various hoses and bottles, finally broke down and drilled a small hole. Used a plastic ?solid grommet? to cover the hole. Make the hole large enough to accommodate an appropriate socket on an extension; can?t Recall the size off hand.

I found this type of ?Forstner? bit drills larger holes in the fibreglass very well. They are short enough to get in tough spaces, deep enough to get through the glass, and the guide bit keeps them from skating around. Very smooth hole.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8535502e

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:22 pm

I use one of these: https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563720 ... -pump-1ltr

I find there's plenty of room to hook the end of the pipe into the diff. You have to use a spanner instead of a socket on the filler plug, but it's quite doable if you don't want to make a hole.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:04 am

Thank you all for the info..Much appropriated.. I may just go with the drilling of the hole as soon as it gets warmer..which plastic ?solid grommet? to cover the hole did you us.. Also if you remember the Forstner size for the socket..

Cheers,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:29 am

There are several topics on this forum covering this matter.

On my own S3, some long time ago, I cut a hole big enough to get my hand through and either used a large grommet or just duct-tape with the removed disk of fibre-glass, I forget which as I have not had to open it for some years.

I used one of those dish shaped hole saws that have a boss for a pilot drill in the centre.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:37 am

not for or against, but.....
if you're going to enlarge the hole you should make it the SAME size as the passenger side center tunnel access hole is for the rear of transmission/U-joint greasing access. And use the SAME large rubber grommit plug used by Lotus from day one. That would at least appear to be factory OEM.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:26 am

tedtaylor wrote:not for or against, but.....
if you're going to enlarge the hole you should make it the SAME size as the passenger side center tunnel access hole is for the rear of transmission/U-joint greasing access. And use the SAME large rubber grommit plug used by Lotus from day one. That would at least appear to be factory OEM.

Good point Ted. The centre tunnel grommet might be a bit oversized as it is for a hole size of 3 1/4? to 3 1/2?.

Perhaps the grommet used at the top of the rear suspension tower would be better. This may be what I used as I was doing rear shocks at the same time.

Here is the info from RD Enterprises. One further advantage is these are thick enough to fit the fibreglass, which is pretty thick for most grommets. For the original poster, pretty sure a similar grommet will be available from your UK suppliers. SJ Sportscars shows something but no picture.

Rear Suspension Access Plug
for Elan, Plus 2 and Elite type 14

This plug fits a hole @ 1-5/8" - 1-3/4" diameter; overall plug diameter is 2-1/4". Gray and black available (gray shown in photo).

Ref. 26B0372G Gray $19.00

Ref. 26B0372B Black $12.00
Attachments
166a8764-fd80-4200-8dce-43f4096017b2.jpeg
Suspension tower grommet from RD Enterprises at rdent.com.
166a8764-fd80-4200-8dce-43f4096017b2.jpeg (27.68 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:47 am

I started with a small 3/4? hole just large enough to poke the tube through but at each refill / oil change the hole has got bigger as I?ve found larger grommets in the interim. I found current one in a junk box and as it?s the same size / looks the same as the suspension plug I guess it must be an old one I forgot I had. It?s a good size though, looks period (not surprising if it?s a Lotus part) and perfect for the task. Put it back in with a smear of sealant and no water leaks.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:55 am

dscf0390.jpg and
dscf0383.jpg and
I went a bit further with this and fitted a waterproof access hatch to the front face of the spare wheel well. they are available from ebay or the boat shops.
Mine is an S3 so it could be different.
We did a few at the local Club Lotus branch.
This one is mine. others were fitted a little more to the right.
The holesaw used was 102mm dia.
The fibreglass was too flimsy there so I made aluminium backing rings to support it.
It also improves access to the handbrake tree.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:23 am

Thank you all again for the wealth of info.. Eric what a beautiful job.. I already have a 1 1/2 inch hole for the handbrake swivel when it was ceased which has a grommet on it. So I will check how close it is to the refill bolt.. I will go with the hole if possible.. I think though the size at this time is unknown..

Cheers,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:08 pm

You can also purchase for not much money at your local marine supply a pump that screws onto the plastic differential oil containers, used to pump the oil ?up? into the drive in an outboard or stern drive. (?up? as in marine application, to push any water out the top hole)
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Just today sorted the Diff access hole on my +2. I spent a while though ensuring I got it in the right place!
I used a rubber Triumph TR6 tunnel acccess bung, just 60mm hole. Worked out great I think.
The Diff level plug takes a 3/8th Whitworth socket.
accesss-hole-for-differential-level-plug.jpg and

diff-plug-bung-2.jpg and
Attachments
diff-plug-bung.jpg and
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:49 pm

dscf0480.jpg and
Alan, that`s excellent and spot on. Well done.
As you can see above mine is too far to the left. Exposing that diagonal strut just seems silly .
However it is not so bad because it made room for the electric priming pump in the corner . (Webers you know)
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:08 pm

Thanks for the compliment Eric.
The accuracy of the hole was probably more luck than judgment, although I did with the rear of the car up on ramps, manage to get a cordless Dremel with an angle drive and very short drill make a pilot hole from the backside which put me in the right ball park for the hole saw.
Envious of your Facet electric primer pump for the Webers which is definitely on my future to do list !

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: