Squeak

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am

I've been trying to find the cause of this noise for a while now, I am getting a speed related rhythmic squeak from somewhere on the overrun/slowing down which goes away on acceleration.

I have managed to replicate it in the garage by rocking the car back and forth but it only does it when in gear - in neutral not a squeak out of it! At first it sounded like it was coming from the speedo but then when I put my head near the offside rear wheel it sounds like it's coming from there too. I thought it could be the wishbone shields rubbing but this would happen regardless of it being in gear or not...

I have also just discovered that, while I am rocking the car, in gear, with my hand on the wheel I can feel a click as I take up the slack going forwards, although this doesn't co-incide with the squeak - I have to push it further to get that - so I'm not sure they are related.

Any suggestions?

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am

Are your propshaft UJ's ok? they can squeak if they are worn......can also make a clicking noise.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed May 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Could it be that you have one of these somewhere Robbie? They sometimes squeek, but this ones squeeking days are over :lol:

Leslie
Attachments
p10100191.jpg and
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:21 pm

:) I was waiting for that.

I don't know about the propshaft UJ's but it's certainly something to check - thanks Brian. You have reminded me I had forgotten to mention I have TTR sliding spline driveshafts, so now that I know they can squeak I should check those more thoroughly too.

Cheers

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: