Clutch master and slave cylinder conundrum

PostPost by: Evante » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Hi All,

Here is a follow-up to my problem of whether my rebuild of the clutch master cylinder or the new slave cylinder was the culprit for having no clutch. It turns out that it was both. I replaced the master cylinder with a new one from RDent. It felt much better than the rebuilt one, more back pressure. But, still no clutch. The solution was to bleed the system using a pressure pump, lent me by Tony Vacarro, and to make sure the bleed valve on the slave cylinder was at the top. Once that was accomplished, everything worked perfectly.

However, getting there was not easy, once you put the slave cylinder into place, you can not turn it to get the bleed valve on top. You have to back it out about 3/8 of an inch so that it clears a tab on the bell housing that allows you to turn it so the bleed valve is at 12 degrees top dead center.

I would recommend that if you are replacing the slave cylinder, you bleed it first before pushing it home for its final position. I would also recommend using anti-seize on the slave cylinder body to prevent it from "becoming too attached" to the bell housing mount if you plan on rebuilding the one you have rather than buying a new one the next time it wears out.

Thank you all for your suggestions,

I think that when I am finished rebuilding my Elan, I will have done it 3 times.

Best to everyone,

Jay S.
Jay S.
1972 Federal Sprint, Colorado Orange/White
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:04 am

Evante wrote:Interesting,

I will have to look at the reservoir more closely.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will be working on this problem this weekend and give an update as to my progress.

Until then,

Jay S.

you're too kind :) wrote that too quickly without realizing you were on clutch, not brakes... one issue Girling clutch can't have is the front valve failure, since they don't have a front valve (unlike Gilling tandem MCs)...

glad you got it all sorted anyhow.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:40 pm

nmauduit wrote:
Evante wrote:Interesting,

I will have to look at the reservoir more closely.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will be working on this problem this weekend and give an update as to my progress.

Until then,

Jay S.

you're too kind :) wrote that too quickly without realizing you were on clutch, not brakes... one issue Girling clutch can't have is the front valve failure, since they don't have a front valve (unlike Gilling tandem MCs)...

glad you got it all sorted anyhow.

Girling clutch master cylinders have a front valve - how else is the reservoir sealed when the pedal is depressed?
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Andy8421 wrote:Girling clutch master cylinders have a front valve - how else is the reservoir sealed when the pedal is depressed?

yes, but I find it less prone to issues than the tandem brake MC as it is just sealing towards the end of the bore (better guidance for the diameter and seal width probably).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: