Voigt 5spd and Centre Console/Gearstick

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:52 am

I am giving serious thought to fitting a Voigt 5spd conversion to my +2S130/4.
In thinking it through though I was wondering due to the much longer throw and wider gate of the T9 gearchange what alterations/butchery it will be necessary for me to be do to my fairly recently recovered and replaced currently lovely 4speed centre console.
If anyone has any pics on what they have done in regards to the later type centre console on the +2 4spd to accomodate the long throw T9 gearchange and most importantly how they made it all aesthetically pleasing I would be very interested and appreciative of seeing how it all worked out.

Thanks,

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Hi Alan,

I fitted a Voigts 5 Speed to my Plus 2 nineteen years ago.

I never felt there was any problem with the the gear change, nor any need to modify it.

I did fit the 2.98 1st gear though.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
It is the stick movement of the Type 9 requiring more movent in relation to the existing 4spd gaiter boot and its hole in the console that I had in my mind would be insufficient and would need quite a bit of enlargement and a new different gaiter. The 5spd Lotus box needs a larger gaiter doesn't it than the 4spd and I don't think that has quite as long a gearstick throw as the Type9.

Is your +2 the later padded type centre console or the earlier type console?
Are you saying that you havent had to modify your centre console at all?....No hole enlargement? No cutting of the centre console?.. Or even change the gaiter from the original 4speed gaiter? If so I find that quite amazing and is excellent news!

Yes I will be going with the 2.98 1st Gear.

Thanks,

Alan. :D
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:22 pm

alanr wrote:
Is your +2 the later padded type centre console or the earlier type console?

Are you saying that you havent had to modify your centre console at all?....No hole enlargement? No cutting of the centre console?.. Or even change the gaiter from the original 4speed gaiter? If so I find that quite amazing and is excellent news!

I have the padded console. :)

No, I certainly didn't say any of the above ! :shock:

I don't have any pics, but I think a few minor mods where necessary.

Firstly, I took Alan Voights' recommendation and stuffed a large sponge with a suitable hole into the turret opening to seal it. Then I cut an aluminium plate to cover this off, secured by 4 screws into the tunnel fibreglass.

The gaitor is from a BMW e30, which clips into the console, ( which may have needed slight recutting )

68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:50 pm

Ok, Thanks for that re the e30 gaiter.
It all sounds as though perhaps I am overthinking this and it is not much of an issue and the centre console will only need slight modification!
The fitting of the gearbox itself holds no fears for me at all but fiddling with upholstery and making things look aesthetically pleasing to the eye is not always my forte!

Thanks again,

Alan. :D
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:36 pm

Fitting a Voigt T9 in an Elan, admittedly not a +2 does need a console cut and modification it seems as in this pic poached from another thread.
Not the end of the world I know but this the sort of thing i was hoping to avoid seeing as I have only just restored my +2S130 centre console. Ah well, all sortable I guess and only to be expected...
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG (84.91 KiB) Viewed 621 times

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:16 pm

One useful mod I did for the Voigts gearbox was to cut a 40mm port on the left side of the tunnel to access the reverse detent adjuster to fine tune the gear change after fitting the GB in the car.

68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:44 am

Ah!..that sounds like a good idea. I had forgotten about needing access to the dentent plunger adjustment that is moved to the side of the gearbox..

Thanks for that tip :D

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:12 am

I am also wondering what to do about getting the Speedo to read correctly after fitting the Voigt T9.
Ideally I would like to retain the original instrument, or at least the way it looks in the panel, but I guess it will need recalibrating by someone/somehow.
Is a GPS sensor the way to go?

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:48 am

Technically not legal...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:03 am

HCA wrote:Technically not legal...

Why?...who says?...and who would know once fitted?

So what is the alternative solution then?

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:31 am

I said 'technically'. I do not know who says, but it is! Some faceless lawmaker somewhere I guess. Lots are fitted though!

Seriously, it is all to do with unavailability of signal. The only time it could be found out I suppose is if you were in an MOT place where there is no signal...

If you are really concerned, then fit an electronic speedo. Not cheap though...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:36 am

Well the good news is it seems the speedometer recalibration may not be needed in my case after all!

I have just had a telephone conversation with Alan Voigt and he tells me that included in the gearbox kit is a black speedo drive gear which will give a speedo reading of only around 5% inaccurate if used with a 3.77 diff. This is the diff ratio I currently have in my car.
With other diff ratios the speedo reading will obviously be further out and will need recalibration.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:27 pm

HCA wrote:I said 'technically'. I do not know who says, but it is! Some faceless lawmaker somewhere I guess. Lots are fitted though!

Seriously, it is all to do with unavailability of signal. The only time it could be found out I suppose is if you were in an MOT place where there is no signal...

If you are really concerned, then fit an electronic speedo. Not cheap though...

I've never ever seen a MOT Tester check to see if the Speedo works.
Tell me more
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:20 pm

I cannot tell you any more! If you have never seen this, then little more that I can say.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: