Diff carrier fit

PostPost by: Billelan » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:30 pm

Hi. I’m just reassembling my differential and notice the iron housing if a very sloppy fit in the aluminium carrier. I reckon there’s around 1mm clearance between the spigot on the cast housing and the bore of the aluminium carrier. Nothing appears to be worn. I suppose fitting the drive shaft before tightening the 8 set screws will tend to centralise things.
Is this normal or am I missing something?
Thanks Bill
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:35 pm

The plain shank on the bolts should centralise everything, no?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:18 pm

Hi Jono. To some degree they will, however, they’re not fit bolts so will also have clearance. I would have expected either good spigot location or a couple of dowels.
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:20 am

Hi Bill,

I see what you mean

I recently rebuilt my diff onto a better housing and to be honest never really considered 'fit' of the diff to the housing, I was more bothered about gasket thickness for similar reasons.

I seem to recall I did what you suggest and offered it up 'loose' then fitted the outputs and new bearings prior to nipping it all up and that seemed to work fine.

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:35 am

Thanks Jon, that’s what I’ll do. I tend to overthink things these days.
Cheers
Bill
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:45 am

Billelan wrote:Hi. I’m just reassembling my differential and notice the iron housing if a very sloppy fit in the aluminium carrier. I reckon there’s around 1mm clearance between the spigot on the cast housing and the bore of the aluminium carrier. Nothing appears to be worn. I suppose fitting the drive shaft before tightening the 8 set screws will tend to centralise things.
Is this normal or am I missing something?
Thanks Bill

They're not a great fit but it's not too much of a worry.
I did see one case with two dowels utilising the two dummy holes in the final drive casing which had non-genuine corresponding holes in the diff casing - I believe the diff came from an old racer, perhaps even a 26R which would make sense.

As a test, try fitting 8 bolts (or even studs) to the casing and offer the diff up to it to see how much wiggle room there is.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: