CV driveshaft ID...

PostPost by: Brock » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:54 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone recognize this CV driveshaft assembly? They have been on the car for 20 years or more.

The GKN joints' part number is c153100198010 -- which doesn't google well and I can't find a cross reference. I guess I'll ask GKN directly unless someone has a better idea.

I'm going to clean, re-grease and swap their drive directions... and see how that goes. There is a slight rumble when the drive shafts are turned by hand. Their grease has separated some over the years and dripped / flung oil out.

Thanks

Elan_CV_5.jpg and

Elan_CV_4.jpg and

Elan_CV_1.jpg and
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:36 pm

These look very similar, but a bit different to the ones sold by rdent. I think they are a good setup.

They based on VW beetle or van etc. Probably the 90mm CV joints. If same as mine.

They do weep oil from the grease. I used aviation gasket sealer on the metal to metal joints to stop that. Then small amount of silicon sealant on the edge under the CV boots.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Brock » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:27 pm

Ah yes... Thanks mbell.... Likely late Bug, Super Beetle... 90mm nominal... 89.85mm in reality. I suppose the dimensions and spline info is all I need to find new ones.

Sealing with (a very thin bit of) goop should be fun. CV joints are the greasiest things ever devised.

If I find a cross reference, I'll post it here.
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:28 pm

Info is at:
https://www.jbugs.com/VW-Tech-Article-C ... Specs.html

My guess is type 1 joints. But would be wise to confirm that.

Yeah CV grease get everywhere. When I put new boots on mine I think i put silicon on and tie wrapped the boot to the joints off the car. So it could dry and hold them in place before fitting. The Aviation gasket sealer is good as it thick and goes tacky, so less of an issue for fitting the shafts.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: