Type 9 Gearbox conversion

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:01 pm

Hi all
I have a +2 130S with the original (Maxi-based) 5 speed, not enjoying it much but keen on trying a Type 9 instead. What is required for the swap? Specifically, gearbox mount plate and prop shaft? I know the shift position needs to be modified, and recall that the prop shaft is the 4 speed with a new yoke; is this correct, and if so, what yoke? I have a 4 speed mount plate as well as the current 5 speed.

Many thanks!!
James
Last edited by jkatthehelm on Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66 Elan fhc, 72 Elan Plus 2S 130/5, 98 Elise 2.0l Duratec
Second Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:07 pm

Hi James, I you scroll down this gearbox section to Apr 12 2023 within it you will find a reply by me which includes a ref to the article I prepared detailing the work I had to do for this conversion for my +2. This will give you an idea of the work involved.
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:27 pm

Thanks Richard, I’ll do that :)
Cheers
JAmes
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:58 pm

Biggest item you will need is the extension housing so that the gear knob will be in the correct position. Fortunately Alan Voigt has done all the work for us- do a search on here for Voigt
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:34 pm

Thanks Phil!
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:31 pm

What about the 5 speed are you not enjoying?

Things like the shift quality can be much improved with a few mods, which would be much cheaper and easier than changing the box out...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:27 am

mbell wrote:What about the 5 speed are you not enjoying?

Things like the shift quality can be much improved with a few mods, which would be much cheaper and easier than changing the box out...

It’s a fair question especially seeing the price of Voight’s and the complexity of a DIY conversion. Maybe I’ll look for a tired spare box to build up! Any offers?!!? James
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:25 pm

New boxes are going to be expensive and possibly need a rebuild also.

Why not pull the box and have it rebuilt over winter? (Assuming it had major issues and needs that rather than a few tweaks...)
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:10 pm

Hi. I have the original 5 speed maxi box. It was modified by the previous owner with heavy duty bearings but I don't know the details I'm afraid. Apparently the mods solve the issues with the box. I understand the mods have been reported elsewhere. If anyone else knows what these mods are I would be interested to find out more. The gear change does seem good once the oil has warmed up.

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:41 am

1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:49 am

alaric wrote:It was modified by the previous owner with heavy duty bearings but I don't know the details I'm afraid.

The mood is to update the input shaft bearing to the same spec as the elite/eclat. That uses a wider 6206 (I think) bearing. Which requires machining the input shaft to make space for the wider bearing. Then a spacer to increase the od of the bearing or id of the hole due to the smaller diameter be bearing.
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:19 am

Thanks for the link. I hadn't found that myself. It looks really useful. It sounds like I have the mod that you describe mbell - I'm pretty sure that's what I was told when I looked at the car.

Sean.

So going through the article it's this, but there's a list of other mods too:

5 spd mod.png and
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:20 am

I think that’s all rather unnecessary unless you want to race. If the box is in reasonably unworn condition all you need to do is modify the anti sizzle joint on the gear shift (the “Vince Reynard Special”) and reduce pressure on the 5th gear ident spring. Vince did a few other things to improve gear selection but his box was out to begin with. I tried his car and the shift was fantastic - although at the time I’d no experience with the legendarily “rifle bolt action” four speed, I couldn’t imagine that being much better than Vince’s box.

So, anyway, putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak, I applied those mods to my S130/5 gearbox with good results, although there was a bit of sizzle thanks to its age and wear, and I ended up sourcing a new shifter with a less flexible anti sizzle joint. Result was a good compromise, and jkatthehelm (the OP) actually drove it. Obviously I’m not saying this is better than a Type 9 conversion, but it’s a hell of a lot easier. At least, worth a try before shelling out for a conversion? It’s not even necessary to take the box out of the car to do it.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:15 am

Jon, what were the issues with your box before modifications apart from 'sizzle' ? I'm in a similar position to the OP trying to decide which way to go with a 5 speed box that to my mind has a simply appallingly sloppy change and objects to going into 5th and coming out of reverse. To put it into context, there is more gearshift slop when in any gear than my 4 speed S4 box has in neutral !!. Also, where did you source the new gearstick for yours?
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: