Removal of CV driveshaft

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:45 am

Hi,

I've found a split CV joint boot and am trying to remove the shaft to replace the boot.

Can I get some advice please on whether or not it's necessary to release the lower suspension arm from the hub and pivot the hub out, or will there be enough travel along the length of the shaft to allow me to clear the studs on the CV joints? I do have a hub removal tool so could release the taper and move the hub out rather than removing the lower suspension arm outer bolts.

Sorry to be asking, but they are one off shafts made by the previous owner, which look really good and are not causing a problem other than the boot splitting. I don't want to break anything, or end up damaging the three eared flange that the brake disc bolts onto, hence am asking before I do more - so far I've removed the three nuts that clamp the brake disc.

Here's a pic - from this forum - of the driveshafts before they were fitted - really nice looking shafts:

DSC_0766.jpg and

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:50 am

They look very much like the elantrikbits shafts that I have on my S4, although you say the PO made them. Anyway, I would remove them by separating the CV at each end from the adapter flanges i.e leave the flanges attached to the hub and output shaft. Six Allen screws at each end (they're not shown in the disassembled kit in your photo but you can see them on the assembled shaft). There should be enough movement on the splines for the CV to now move backwards so that you can separate the CV from the flange. Be very careful that you do not allow the cage containing the ball bearings to rotate outwards from the CV. If it does, the ball bearings can fall out. It can be re-assembled, but it's not easy, so be aware. Once on the bench you can remove the CV from the shaft and replace the boot.

This video for the elantrikbits installation probably explains it better. https://youtu.be/AWq3FTdlC3E

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:12 am

Hi Mike.

Thankyou very much for your reply. As it happens I have now managed to get the outer CV studs clear of the disc, but of course now there's nowhere for it to go haha. I probably should have released the inner joint first. But it's the outer boot that's split, so, actually, following your post I could undo the Allen bolts and separate the joint now and get the boot off. I'd rather get it on the bench though. I'll re-engage the joint with the disc and try releasing the inner CV from the diff. I'm sure I didn't have to separate suspension or hub when I fitted Sue Miller shafts many years ago. I've done this by hand so far so am confident no damage done.

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:31 pm

Haha.

Success.

I put the outer cv back into its holes - swearing was required.

So, the trick was to let the suspension hang as low as possible. Then I was able to release the inner CV joint, and that then cleared the diff and moments later the shaft was out.

Now to find boots that fit.

20230726_132647.jpg and

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: