5 speed woes, is there hope?

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:20 am

Bit of a long post but hoping that someone can help please. Elan plus 2 with lotus 5 speed box. Gearchange was really sloppy and getting worse then finally the leaver parted company with the box. The white plastic ball on the end of the stick was mangled down to about half size and allowed the leaver to pull through the blue plastic retaining cup/nut screwed into the block. So far, bad but not unrecoverable. The chewed up bits of the ball were removed, what was left was cleaned up and I could reinsert the gearleaver into the box and by holding it down, select the first 4 gears ok. I needed to reverse the car into the garage so I put it into reverse, parked but then could not get it out of reverse gear . It was well and truely stuck in. On the last attempt to get it out of gear the leaver pulled out again and now I'm struggling to get it back in again because the little plunger that comes in from the side of the box and contacts the lever fork has moved out and closed up the gap that the lever fork would go into. Any ideas how to approach this without the box needing to come out? I'm not sure that there is enough room to remove the top plate screws that are trapped below the chassis on the drivers side or what is stopping it coming out of reverse gear
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:59 am

That would very much explain the very poor shift on your gearbox.... don't worry the the top plate can be removed in situate, bit fiddly but I've done it after gear stick worked out while driving and mechanism separated (can happen in neutral).

What you want is a hinged 1/2" (or 13mm) ratchet spanner.like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Ratch ... 07WQNT45R/

This allows you to remove the bolts holding the cover with limited access from in the car relatively easily. You can then reconnect the mechanism (if it has separated) and put it in gear (4th) to stop it separating again. Refit the cover (needs new gasket) and refit new or repaired gearstick.

If you want to repair the gearstick, a new ball is available in Australia:
https://lotusmarques.com/parts/catalogu ... ts-5-speed

Or I posted a STL file of one which can be used to get a replacement made. You need to destroy the bush to take it to bits, so will need a new one of those or figure your own solution.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:40 pm

Many thanks for a reassuring reply. Bits on order tomorrow from Lotus Marques and flex head spanner available in the local store. I'm still a bit worried about getting it out of reverse as it was stuck fast. Do you think this might be possible with a correctly fitted refurbished gearstick ?
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:23 pm

Lotus Marques can also provide a replacement rubber bush which you may also require. To fit the new ball you first have to split the two halves of the shaft which usually makes the bush irretrievably damaged.
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:24 pm

It is certainly possible. You should be able to fit the gearstick with it in reverse but might be a bit trickier. If not you can carefully use some plumber wrench type tool in place of the gearstick to change gear first (I'd suggest 4th).

DO NOT leave it in neutral without a gearstick fitted as the shift mechanism can become disconnected and it is bit of fiddle to get back connected (also requires cover to be removed to do).

If you still can't get it out of reverse you can remove the 5th/rev detent and spring by removing the dome nut under the gearbox, you may lose a small amount of oil but nothing serious.The detent might drop with the spring or stay in the box, so just be careful it not loose it. (See the unnumbered parts between 23 & 24 at http://rdent.com/manuals/plus2/transmission/fd.htm)

(I'd advise removing the nut and adding an extra copper washer or two under it, as it reduces the preload on the spring and the effort required to get in and out of 5th gear.)

To fixing the gear stick will require some brutal attacking/destroy of the bushing to separate the parts. I used a drill to remove rubber and pull them a part. Then cut the sleeve off the lower part. The sleeve in the upper part I had to chisel in on itself.

There nothing complicate here and easy for anyone with small amount of DIY experience.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=51558

The topic above discusses the gearstick issue
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: