Clutch slave cylinder

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:00 pm

IMG_6261.jpeg and

Fitting new seals to the clutch slave cylinder (I suppose it is very non PC these days to use the word ‘slave’ :roll: )

See photo, bottom row shows the seal kit supplied. The small marked seal - where does this go as there wasn’t one in the cylinder on dis-assembly?
Thanks
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:09 am

Happy new year Malcolm,

It looks like you may have been supplied with a service kit for the brake or clutch master cylinder, as there is no small seal on the slave piston, only a large one. What is the number on the kit? the correct one is SP2204.

I note that those useless TRW kits do not even come with fitting instructions, not that there is much to get wrong on the slave cyl. apart from fitting the large seal the wrong way round possibly. I have instructions from a Girling kit if you would like me to picture and post.

I also note that you show the piston the wrong way round, but I am sure you are aware.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:34 am

Happy New Year to you too Leslie.

Thanks for that, as I thought, the small seal is for some other application. The kit must be a generic one as it came in a bag without any manufacturer ID - bought from Sue M. Hopefully the rubber seal will last! Yes I spotted the piston misaligned in the photo!

Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:58 am

Interesting that you mention about rubber lasting Malcolm. I sold a very N Old S, probably 30 - 40 years, brake or clutch, can't remember which, master cylinder to Robin, on here, from Scotland, last year. After I dug it out from storage, I thought I would operate the pushrod a few times to make sure that all was in order.

Well, the rod seemed a bit sticky to me, not smooth, so I took it apart, as I did not want to send him a dodgy item. Indeed, when I examined the seals with a 10x lens, the rubber showed signs of cracking and swelling, hence the sticky operation of the piston in the bore, so I rebuilt the unit with a new kit. Good order was then restored.

Be careful out there good people, when buying NOS items that have rubber parts. They may need to be overhauled before use.

One other thing to mention when fitting a service kit to a brake or clutch component. If the part is going to be used in the near future, say a couple of months, you can use brake fluid to lubricate on assembly, but much longer than that, use red rubber grease, as brake fluid can corrode the components if just left to sit. This is particularly pertinent if restoring a car over a number of years.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:57 pm

Leslie,

Your comments remind me of a similar problem with rubber. I will start another topic.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: