Angle drive quill

PostPost by: skelteanema » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:48 am

Hi all,

on my last run, the speedometer suddenly started wavering and then died. Turns ot the magnetic rotor wheel in the speedometer seized, and the system failed at its weakest point, the quill in the right angle drive. I have pulled the speedometer apart and have managed to free up the magnetic rotor, and hopefully I can put it back together without damaging the return spring, losing/damaging the tiny springs on the pawls, or doing some other catastrophic damage....

What I am asking is whether the quills from the angle drive are available anywhere? I have ordered a new right angle drive. However, I would like to refurbish the old one and keep it as a spare if the quills are available. Also, how does one remove the broken quill from the drive? Is it a press fit or is there some trick to removing it?

Thanks
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:12 am

Caterham used to sell them for a few quid I seem to recall.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:02 pm

I had the quill come loose in the angle drive. In the process of getting it repaired, I found that there are 2 sizes of quills. Also, not all angle drives are the same, i.e., one for a MG is not the same as the one used in my Elan. Was able to get the original repaired by a local speedometer shop.
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:37 pm

gone up a bit since I last bought one!

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/clutch-cabl ... e-end.html
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:49 am

Thanks Jono, I looked on the caterham site but could not find the part. I have ordered one so we will see how it fits
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:54 am

Hi Skelte,
I assume you know the trick when reassembling your speedo to have it read within a bull's roar of what it did before you pulled it apart ?
When you put the actual needle back on put it on pointing at the little dot that is before the zero.
Then lift it up and over it's stop.
That way you'll have the pretension it was originally calibrated with.
In theory anyway..... :)

Ralph.
Napier.
Attachments
IMG-6866.JPG and
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:41 am

Hi Ralph,

yes I did read a lot of the information available. I found the article by Anthony Rhodes on Jaeger and Smith speedo repair particularly helpful as well as a few videos on similar speedos. I did note where the needle was when lifted over the stop, and also marked the drag cup just to be sure. The hardest part so far has been getting the mechanism out of the casing, it is not a loose fit to say the least. Bezel and glass removal was easier than expected. I had already ordered seals and spare glass because the old seals had oozed out from behind the bezel and were in need of replacement. This has accelerated my need to replace these seals.

I have dismantled it, cleaned it up and freed up the magnetic rotor. I will reassemble this weekend, and as long as I don't fire the small springs into oblivion, I will test it with a drill to check it is working.

Skelte
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:44 pm

Something worth checking 'while you're in there' is the small gear that drives the odometer. It can split and was the cause of my speedometer issues which eventually led to the angle drive failing.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=50747&start=0
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:56 am

Thanks Scott,

I did read your posts on the split gear before I started and thought that I may have had the same problem. Luckily it seems it was only a seized magnet rotor, which I have now freed up. All the rest of the internals actually looks to be in good nick. I suppose the question is: are we supposed the lubricate the speedometer magnet rotor once every 57 years or more frequently :D ,
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:26 pm

Hi all,

I have successfully reassembled the speedo mechanism and it seems to be working as it should. One final question.

Does it need any lubrication on the gears and pivot points? I have read a few articles, and they suggest no lubrication. I did lubricate the magnet rotor spindle with a light grease as described in the Rhodes article, but no other mention of lubrications is given.

I should say, when I replaced the very small springs, I threaded a very fine fishing nylon through the holes. This made reattachment easy, and has the bonus that if the spring detached, it wouldn't fly away.
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:45 pm

Hi peoples,

Just a head up. I received the quill from Caterham today. Although the width is correct and it neatly fits into the angle drive, it is much too short. The Caterham one is 4cm long whereas the original is 6cm long. When installed, it does not extend sufficiently far to engage with the gearbox drive.

I could possibly braze/solder a square section to make it fit and I would attempt this if I was desperate; however, I did order a replacement angle drive and will fit this in the meantime.
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:07 pm

Just an idea, would making one from a piece of carbon fibre square bar work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404736325134 ... 4737818613
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:08 pm

Lots on here about this. one end of quill is brazed to a force fit sleeve, any low yield metal will do.
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG (93.42 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:22 pm

Hi Craven,

mine didn't have the sleeve brazed on one end. It was just a 6cm long piece with sqaured ends. One end was a tight fit into the angle drive, the other end was a loose fit into the gearbox.
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: