Seeking Advice on Clutch Master Cylinder Issues

PostPost by: cuthbertdavies » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:45 am

Hoping someone can provide guidance. I've recently installed my second new clutch master cylinder. The first one didn't allow fluid to return to the reservoir, and now this new one isn't transferring fluid from the reservoir to the master cylinder. Has anyone else encountered this issue and might know what's wrong?
cuthbertdavies
New-tral

PostPost by: lotusposition » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:13 pm

Did you transfer an 'original' push rod from your old cylnder. The new cylinders don't come with a correct length pushrod and will cause the problems described.
lotusposition
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:57 pm

lotusposition wrote:Did you transfer an 'original' push rod from your old cylnder. The new cylinders don't come with a correct length pushrod and will cause the problems described.

+1

The piston in the master cylinder has to return all the way to the stop (the circlip) when the clutch pedal is released. There is a small valve at the end of the master cylinder which closes off the pathway to the reservoir when the pedal is depressed. If the piston can't return all the way to the stop, then the valve never opens.

The usual cause is the push rod attached to the pedal being too long (as described above), or the pedal not returning all the way because it is stiff, bent, or something is in the way.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:35 pm

For reference the correct pushrod should be 82mm overall length - 80mm to underside of mushroom head.

Clutch master pushrod.jpg and
Clutch Master Cylinder Pushrod
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:42 am

I'd agree entirely. I had the same issue years ago on my first Elan. Swapped back to the original pushrod, and all was well.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ill_will » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:31 pm

I had the correct pushrod, but it was worn and the rattling in the pedal assembly was annoying. It is possible to get a threaded rod and separate clevises if you need them.
ill_will
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: yellowS4 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:51 am

Had this exact issue yesterday--ended up the flex hose going to the clutch slave was blocked---new hose, all good now
yellowS4
New-tral

Total Online: