Soft thumping

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:14 pm

All great advice from the gents who replied after me. I'm concerned you may have a loose bearing fit to the housing. The housing should be warmed to remove the bearings if you are able.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:24 pm

Thanks for those enthusiastic replies!

I mentioned that the old shaft had showed signs of spinning. The spinning had worn the shaft under the outer bearing, resulting in the play. The bearings themselves have only a trace of play. My bearing carrier still fits new bearings quite well, as I do make use of my blowlamp/oven and freezer where required!

My parts from TTR have arrived - next day delivery! I will reassemble over the next few days, looking carefully for the cause of the thumping. Removing the shaft may have cleared any obstruction, but I will see.....

Cheers,
Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:36 am

David, the stub shaft spinning and wobbling in the bearing could very well be the cause. Doing the other checks are simply a process of eliminating other possibilities. Best wishes to get it sorted so you can get out for some fun!
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:00 am

The stub shaft worn by bearing happens often. When it happen on a 1970 +2S i owned i got it "metal sprayed" .
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:43 pm

Metal spraying is an excellent solution. We frequently used the process to repair machinery shafts. Finish grinding will give you more precise finish dimensions than turning in a lathe.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:26 pm

It's all back together now, and there is no thumping from the bearings or the rest of the axle assembly.

As to what caused it, I am still not sure - just that the stub axle would have been tilted (as mentioned) and something was just beginning to catch. I can't see any witness marks to point the way.

The old bearings are hardly worn and turn freely.

A couple of things to note during re-assembly:

1. The TTR stub axle re-located the rear brake disc inwards by a fraction of a mm. I could have shimmed the caliper to compensate, but ended up easing the inboard pad a fraction to stop it binding. Works fine now.

2. The holes in the TTR stub axle are smaller than the old axle and a close fit to the drive shaft threaded pins. This meant that I was unable to fit the shaft inboard end first. I manages to fit the drive outboard end first as the diff output shaft is original, has larger holes, and allows the drive shaft pins to come in at a larger angle.

Happy motoring,

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: