CV joint replacement

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 pm

About 12 years ago I fitted the Sue Miller CV conversion to my Plus2. All good for 20k miles, but on pre MOT inspection I noticed an amount of play on both sides allowing the hub to be turned at least 5mm before the diff output shaft moves. My question is how much play, if any, is acceptable? There is no unusual noise vibration etc.
Assuming the joints are worn can the components be replaced without special tools or would I be looking at complete replacement of the whole axle?
Thanks
Steve
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 pm

Steve,
Are you sure the wear is the CV or is it the Splines.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm

Alan
Yes I’m sure the wear is in the CV’s - the hub can turn slightly before the inner adaptor plate moves.
Regards
Steve
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 pm

Looks like you are in to change all 4 CVs .
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 pm

Or alternatively you could change it back to factory spec.....and refit the Rotoflex Doughnuts!

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 am

CVs are fairly simple to disassemble, clean and inspect. Then regrease and reassemble.

Look for defects in the ball grooves on each outer and inner. Then inspect the balls themselves.
Any good CV axle/bearing grease is sufficient. I use hylomar blue to seal the ends of the outer race to the flanges. Also recommend using the VW tab washers so the bolts don't come loose. The boot flange metal is very soft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HC2V4UvWiM
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:11 pm

It always surpises me how much play a CV driveshaft can have that's normal and I don't think 5mm is anything unusual. My modern Audi probably has more than that.

I once convinced myself that the Sue Miller CV's had worn on my last Plus 2 after around 12k miles due to what I perceived to be excessive play and so replaced them all with Shaftec CV's. It was no different after the time and expense of doing that and so if I was you, and assuming the CV's are not noisy, I would simply leave them be
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:00 am

Thank you all for the replies. I’m inclined to go with Jono’s suggestion and leave it alone until its apparent that it is actually a problem, or I need to disassemble the rear suspension for some other reason.

As a side note I did message Sue Miller who confirmed she no longer assembles or sells the CV’s and therefore has no components, but they are now supported by Kelvedon. She also said that the actual CV joints are Ford Granada. Hopefully that might help someone else in future.
Bon weekend
Steve
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: