Rotoflex Couplings

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:27 am

Hi there,
Adding to the topic I'd like to ask if anyone has had any problems with halfshafts breaking when they've fitted solid driveshafts, ie CV or UJ?

Either at the diff output or at the outer bearing shaft, I've had one diff output shaft break a long time ago but I'm now thinking of going the solid route coz I want to fit Carlos Fandango wheels and tyres! which will put strain on all the components of the drive train.

Tony Thompson sells machined shafts guaranteed not to break

Ta for any info
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:11 am

The diff output shafts were marginal for cars built before about 1971 and would twist the splines off with enthusiastic use over time. I dont think the CV or UJ shafts actual put much more load on them than donuts we reasonable driving technique but if you are intending to use the car seriously worthwhile replacing the shafts. If nothing else pull your existing shafts and check for a twist at the base of the splines, if the splines are not perfectly straight then replace the shaft.

The out board shafts can fail under track conditions with sticky tyres. The cast iron hubs distort at the inner end of the taper under the cornering loads which can lead to fretting on the shaft and assist the shaft in breaking at the inner face of the hub which is its most heavily loaded point. Again worthwhile fitting new high strength shafts and preferably also steel hubs if your going to use the car regularly on the track with modern sticky tyres.

Rohan

Been there, done that and have a box of broken inboard and outboard shafts to prove it !
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:05 am

I have had a +2 S130 for a year or so now. It had rotoflexes when I first got it - and had the dreaded surge.
A member of Club Lotus, Scotland, advised me to fit the TTR driveshafts and he thought that the resultant lack of rubber cushioning would not make any difference to the longevity drive tain. He has raced elans for years and is an engineer - so I respect his opinion.

This is the best thing I have ever done to the car.

Hamish. :)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: