Speedometer Drive Problems

PostPost by: Paul Steer » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:15 pm

Hi,

This forum is great I could stay on here all night! 73 +2s130/5 The history file thatcame with my car was littered with notes that the odometer "jumped 10,000 miles" I then encountered problems with the speedo clicking then nothing! On investigation the drive had sheered off at the gearbox end. when I replaced it I could not get it to turn. I think the drive has deceased, perhaps caused by a sticking speedo head. There is a way of changing the drive without taking out the engine & gearbox isn't there? any ideas?
Paul Steer
New-tral

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:48 am

Paul - I had all the problems you describe, but luckily found them before I put the body on the car (I drove the chassis for a year - to get the kinks out). The gears had seized in my speedo and I had it repaired locally. I believe I would now have sent it to Nisongers in New York (if you're in the US) as they did a great job on my Tach.
I replaced the right angle gear, which should be easy even with the body on. The speedo drive gear SHOULD come out easily by following the instructions in the repair manual.
To make sure everything was free before hooking the cable to the new right angle drive, I put the square end of the cable into by battery powered drill and confirmed the speedo was free and working.
Good luck
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2 Elan
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nigelfletcher » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:23 pm

Hi Paul,

I had to replace the angle drive on my 130/5 and ended up taking the engine and 'box out to do it. It's a harder job than on the 4 speed.

You can actually get to it from above (remove the centre console etc) but I couldn't do anything other than just about touch it with the tips of my fingers, ie not enough room to get any tools on it.

If anyone knows better please post a reply because engine/box out of with a 5 speeder isn't fun.....

Nigel
nigelfletcher
New-tral

Total Online: