Which Clutch?

PostPost by: rickf » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:16 pm

I'm going to put a new clutch in this weekend and I need to choose a standard or a competition disc. The only difference is whether to have the standard springs around the hub or to have a solid hub with no springs. I've never used the solid hub type. Anybody have experience with them? I'm wondering about street drivability and stress on the rest of the drive train. I use the car for autocross (solo II) but I drive it now and then on the street as well.
Cheers,<br>Rick<br>1972 Elan +2
rickf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:44 am

Rick

I have never used a disk with no hub springs in my competition Elan.

The standard disk has a wavy spring arrangement also between the two friction faces which enables the faces to be squeezed together by the pressure plate and give a smoother take up. The disks I use in competition have this replaced with a solid disk between the friction faces which are bonded and rivetted to it. This produces a clutch disk that is stronger and with quicker take up. Still quite drivable on the road though.

I have never had any problems with the hub springs between the disk and the splined hub and would see no need to remove those. If you also have removed the donuts you have nothing specifically designed to absorb shocks in the drive train so you may find other problems created by those shock loads between the rear wheels and engine.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: