Unreliable Speedometer

PostPost by: magnus » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:30 pm

My Elan +2 1968 which I recently purchased is a great (restored) car but, of course, there are a couple of things that needs to be fixed. Just now, I?m concentrating on two things:
1. the speedometer is swinging
2. the clutch is very "unforgiving"
I would be greatful for experiences on these subjects and perhaps some advice.

Best regards

magnus
magnus
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:40 am

Hello, the speedo may need the cable lubricated or replaced. Some needle pulsation will probably occur at certain speeds no matter what, they often did it when the cars were new.
The clutch, "unforgiving"? Is it tight and comes on all of a sudden? Or are you experiencing rotoflex surge? Is the throttle working smoothly? My +2 gas pedal is very sensitive and sometimes stiff. Lubricating every moving part and all the pivot places can smooth things out. If the clutch engages when the pedal is near the floor it may need bleeding. Good Luck, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:49 am

I had the same thing with my speedo. A new cable fom Christopher Neal was cheapish. Around ?10-?15 and solved it completely.
The clutch is a bit on/off compared with a modern car, always was, but if yours is really bad, in addition to the previous advice check the clevis pin that the pedal hinges on. Sometimes the holes have worn.
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:25 pm

The clutch on my Elan went completely 'digital'. Either full on or full off, nothing in between!
When I removed the engined I found that the two springs holding the release bearing to the clutch fork had vanished (I do remember hearing a strange noise but thought nothing of it at the time). The whole clutch bearing was disconnected just slid up and down the drive shaft.
It was an easy fix but the engine did have to come out. Parts ?10 labour !!!!
Just as well I did it myself.
The clutch in the Elan always has been pretty sharp compared with modern cars so hopefully your is just that and nothing more.
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: