Sprint front fender Orange Repeater flasher?

PostPost by: archigator » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:42 am

The wiring on my Sprint was really messed up by the original owner and subsequent 'mechanics.' In attempting to rewire under the front bonnet, I see that the orange light on my fenders is called a repeater flasher on page 94 of the Workshop Manual. However, in reality this light has a red pigtail and a black pigtail. The red pigtail suggests that this should be on the red wired circuit (sidelamp) which is not a turn indicator circuit. There is no reference to this particular light in the wiring diagram that I could find. Soooo...

Does this orange, fender-mounted lamp flash on your car when the turn indicator switch is activated, or does it come on when the headlamps are lit and act as a running light? :?:

Gary
'71 Elan
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steve71 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:41 am

Hi Gary,

On my '71 Sprint, ex UK model, the light flashes with the turn signals. I'll check the colours of the wires tonight.

Steve.
'71 Sprint DHC
steve71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:06 am

Gary,

It's a repeater for the indicator light - i.e. flashes with indicators (and hazard lights if you have them). I suspect the red wiring is because that's how they came from whichever supplier Lotus used and the generic wire used for an active in those days was red.

I suspect in most places it would not pass registration/roadworthy inspection if it was a running light. In Oz these are strictly for large trucks!

If you don't get the info from Steve I can check mine and let you know how it's wired in

rgds,
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steve71 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:02 am

Gary,

Just for interest the wires on my lamps are black and green :)

The black wires on both sides go to earth.

The green (your red) wire on the left hand lamp connects to a Green/Red wire which, joins up with the Green/Red from the idicator stalk on the steering column.(exactly where in the loom these two wires join up I do not know)

The green (your red) wire on the right hand lamp connects to a Green/White wire which, joins up with the Green/White from the idicator stalk on the steering column. (again, exactly where in the loom these two wires join up I do not know)

Hope this helps,
Steve.
'71 Sprint DHC
steve71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:42 am

orange light on my fenders

OK so we know fenders = wings but based in Florida it could be assumed that this a Federal car

Federal cars (S4, maybe later S3's?) have marker lights on the bumpers that would be permanently on with the sidelights which would be wired with wires coloured black and red/white

Rest of world vehicles (excluding federals ones) had a light situated above the front wheel arch as indicator "turn" repeaters, connected to the front indicators

green/white and black on the right hand side
green/red and black on the left hand side

There are two styles of lights on S4s. US (Federal version) or the Rest of the world.
Attachments
img241_rest_world.jpg and
Or is it like the rest of the world?
img240_federal.jpg and
Is your car a Federal Style?
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:47 am

My Florida car is actually a RHD import model with the orange light on the fender! (The photos are great.)

Wow, great responses! I know what needs to be done. Thanks for all of your info. This forum is such a fantastic resource.

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint (RHD)
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:57 pm

Just to add to the confusion, my 69 S4 Federal has the repeater lights on the wings. The hazard light switch is a slide switch under the dash lip and works when the turn stalk is turned left or right. According to the factory build sheet, my car was made in Nov. 1968 and sold to a St Louis dealer.
I suspect my car was originally destined for the EU market and then reconfigured for the US. It came with red lenses, safety hub spinners and US bumper height.
Phil
San Jose CA.
S4 FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:55 am

Just a point of interest...

I know 1968 was the first year that US production autos were required to have "sidelights" (they acted as running lights, not turn indicators). In 1969 all Federal cars were required to have headrests or highback seats to help prevent whiplash. So if you see a stock US model car with sidelights, but without headrests, it must be a '68.

Gary
'71 Sprint RHD
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: