Wiper fault on 71 Sprint

PostPost by: andrewdmoore » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:00 pm

The wipers on my 71 Sprint only work on the slow speed and wont 'park'. Any advice always appreciated before I contort myself under the dashboard.

Regards, Andrew
andrewdmoore
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:27 pm

Problem probably on the Motor end as that's where the self park stuff is, I think. On a Plus 2 this is in the engine compartment, rather than under the dash. Not sure where it is on an Elan.

Sorry to be so vague.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:50 pm

I had wipers that would work on normal & fast speeds, but wouldn't park. It turned out to be a wire broken inside the insulation just back from a Lucar connector, where it connected to the switch! - I think it was just about accessible through the ashtray hole.

It was like that for so long that I sometimes still switch them off when the wipers are at the bottom....

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:42 am

Andrew,
Were the wipers working, then stopped? If so, it may well be the park switch, which is part of the wiper motor. These are cheap and easy to replace.

I had similar problems on my +2, but it was down to previous owner "modifications": no park switch; wrong type of switch on the dash, and incorrect wiring.

The first thing to do is to figure how it is supposed to work, then get out the volt meter!

The wiring should be very similar to this:

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/s_wiper.htm

(look at "early two-speed")

good luck and best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:46 pm

As for operating at a single speed. The fast speed often won't seem any quicker than slow - until you are using them in anger and driving in the rain. At least that's my experience (and it gets a mention in the workshop manual I seem to recall).
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: