S4 Rear lights

PostPost by: triumphelan » Fri May 26, 2006 6:41 am

The bulbs are a sloppy fit in there holder and work intermitantly, can I get replacement bulb holders ,I`m in the UK
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri May 26, 2006 7:25 am

John
Unless they are badly corroded they are usually salvagable
Before you start replacing the bulb holders are you sure you can not adjust them.
If they are sloppy against the sides of the holder you could bend the metal inwards slightly.
If they are sloppy up and down in the holder and work intermittently then check the bulb as they have solder on the bottom and wear.
Also it is possible to bend/ extend the contacts at the bottom so they apply a bit more pressure to the bulb.

Clive
(p.s I used to work for Hella)
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Fri May 26, 2006 3:04 pm

While apart, check the spring behind the bulb contacts - inside the 'tube' with the slots. If it's compacted or broken it won't push the bulb tightly into it's slots. If the bulb still wants to push out and won't stay in, careful clamping of the 'tube' that the bulb sits in will make a firmer fit, use a pair of curved molegrips opened just enough to squeeze but not crush and rotate around the 'tube' for a consistantly round tube - make sure the bulb can still go in and out easily!

Hope this helps, with Cliveboys info as well, they'll be good as new!
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Fri May 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Thanks ,if it stops raing that will be my w/end job
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:15 pm

Hi John, if you get really stuck i'm in hA4 ? Rgds jc
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi John, if you get really stuck i'm in hA4 ? Rgds jc
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon May 29, 2006 10:14 am

I have a small tip about S4 rear lights. On my car the right rear blinker stopped working. After a very long search I found that there was no earth connection between the lamp holder and the light cluster body. The lamp holder is rolled into the main body so would be seriously damaged in an attempt to remove it so I soldered an earth wire to the lamp holder itself and to the earthing point on the main light cluster body. Problem solved; forever?
John.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: