Electric fan question?

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:03 pm

I am mounting a full width radiator in my Elan and as such can't use the original electric fan bracket. I have therefore bought a nice new 10" Kenlowe blower fan.

The question is, should the fan be mounted in the middle of the radiator or at one side? My original electric fan was mounted to one side so I assume there must be a reason for this? Does one mount it closer to the top inlet side on the assumption that this is where the hotter water enters?

All suggestions welcome?

Thanks

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:03 pm

Mount it on the exhaust side. This helps keep the alternator/dynamo cool and keeps plenty of air flow around the exhaust manifold.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:23 pm

I have just that configuration: Full radiator, electric fan on the exhaust side, no fan on the water pump pulley. If the fan is running the car stays cool even in stationary traffic on a hot day. (It would eventually flatten the battery though as i have a dynamo). If you are using an otterswitch, a relay will protect the contacts from too much current.

best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:37 pm

OK----I handled the cooling with a different and very canny Scottish approach-----[too make my Granny proud ] the fan was a throw away from a friends Morgan ---so I bent some tube to make a stand and mounted it whole thing in the nose of the car -----I added an aluminum floor and sides to the cavity to control air flow and hooked the switch to the dash-----the fan also handles the oil cooler--and is far enough from the rad so that there is no blockage of the airrr flow ---the down side is in traffic one eye must be on the temp gage or just turn it on until things get rolling again -------total cost -----0 dollars ----hoot mun ----ed
Attachments
P6270005.JPG and
Last edited by twincamman on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:43 pm

Is that a fan Ed ?...........looks more like a propeller :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:45 pm

twincamman wrote:OK----I handled the cooling with a different and very canny Scottish approach-----[too make my Granny proud ] the fan was a throw away from a friends Morgan ---so I bent some tube to make a stand and mounted the whole thing in the nose of the car -----I added an aluminum floor and sides to the cavity to control air flow and hooked the switch to the dash-----the fan also handles the oil cooler--and is far enough from the rad so that there is no blockage of the airrr flow ---the down side is in traffic one eye must be on the temp gage or just turn it on until things get rolling again -------total cost -----0 dollars ----hoot mun ----ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:50 pm

well a propeller is just a BIG fan -- :lol: -may be something left over from the unpleasantness of the 40's that Morgan got a buy on ---and you get to say ---'CONTACT'--- when you turn it on -----helps with gas milage too --and on hot days stand close to the air intake and cool yur kilt -----its all good ------but keep the sheep away----ed--
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: