S4 headlights

PostPost by: 106500 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:27 pm

My S4 Elan has developed a headlight problem. The headlamps are on constantly when the headlamp pods are raised. The dipper switch is no longer effective. There seems nothing obviously wrong. Advice would be much appreciated.
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:10 am

Check status/wiring of your headlight cutout switch first (if you still have one) and work from there. Make sure you have no damaged wires, good connections and/or grounding - the usual suspects.

This is the switch which is supposed to turn OFF the headlamps if you leave them switched on when you drop the pods. On my S4 it is on the back of the passenger side headlamp pod - looking in through engine bay in front of radiator when lamp is raised.

I have also had problems before with headlamp wires which had been repeatedly trapped/clamped between the headlamp pod and body/wheel well when pod was down and had eventually shorted.
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:57 am

Check the headlamp relays. These are known to stick when they get old. New relays can be aquired from the usual suspects.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 106500 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Could anyone tell me where on the S4 the headlamp relays are located? I've purchased a new relay from Paul Matty's but it appears nothing like the three hella relays I have on my car (located on the front left hand side of the engine bay) help!
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:25 am

Left hand side of the engine bay is the correct place for the relays. Could be that a DPO replaced the relays with non-standard items.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: