Horn comes on by itself

PostPost by: pamitchell » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:23 pm

Hello all;

Looking for advice on horn issue. The horn will activate when I turn corners and the steering wheel boss makes metal contact with the column. There are metal shavings inside the column where the boss and column make contact. When I pull the wheel towards me to create a gap between the boss and column, the horn does not sound on turns.
I have a slight play in the wheel, fore and aft which I prefer. I'm getting in the habit of steering and pulling the wheel back to avoid the metal to metal contact. I replaced the steering coupler with a solid steel one and the rest of the column and wheel is stock.

Should there be an nsulated spacer between the column and boss to prevent metal to metal contact? I have access to a lathe and delrin to make an isolating spacer.

Appreciate any comments, success stories.
TIA
Phil Mitchell
San Jose CA. (N. Cal)
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steve71 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:08 pm

Phil,

It sounds like your steering column impact clamp may be loose. It clamps the upper and lower pieces of the inner steering column together. You can see it near the firewall under the dash. There should be no grease on the column where the clamp is. It might be worth checking that the inner columns are straight as I have had trouble with a bent column not clamping properly.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
'71 Sprint DHC
steve71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:53 am

as my wife says----[SHORT] -- :lol: --ED
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:08 am

I think Steve found your solution.
There is no insulating spacer.
Why do you prefer play in your steering column???
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:08 am

Also check that your steering rack is firmly mounted and not moving, that there is no play in the input shaft into the rack and that the universal joint is firmly clamped onto both the rack input shaft and steering column shaft with the clamp bolts correctly located in the grooves in the shafts.

Also check the top bearing in the steering column does not have excessive side play.

Movement in any of these in addition to a loose clamp joint as described by Steve could also cause the play that is enabling the wheel hub to contact the column tube and sound the horn. Any play signifies a potential problem with a steering component that could come loose with disasterous consequences.

Even with everything tight if the wheel hub is set to close to the column due to misadjustment of the clamp arrangement normal deflections from steering load can cause the horn to sound.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:19 am

I've had the same problem & also wish somebody could explain the theory behind the problem. :?
I correct this problem by slackening the clamp on the inner steering column, which can be got at in the foot well.
When this is loosened you can pull the steering wheel towards you & away from the outer steering column. This will prevent the unwanted contact.
I have found that if you move the wheel too far, & I'm talking about a millimeter or less the horn won't work at all.
That's what I don't understand. :?
Surely the contact for the horn push to earth is via the spring loaded contact in the wheel boss, that rubs on the copper contact ring which is fitted to the outer steering column.
I also have a universal joint coupling fitted to my steering column.
The earth runs through this without any problems & eliminates those straggly bits of wire down by the steering rack. :wink:

All the best.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

While you are upside down in the footwell looking at the clamp, check that the upper and lower parts of the steering column do not have any oil or grease on them. If there is any oil or grease no matter how tight you do the clamp the two parts will still slide.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:36 am

Phil,

I think Steve and Rohan have the right idea. I had the same problem. Sometimes I would be awaken at night to the sound of the air horns in the car which was parked in my detached garage! I'd run out and pull a wire off the horn compressor. I also had the problem of the horn going off during turns. Sometimes drivers would pull over thinking I was honking at them because they were in my way. I would pull up beside them and sheepishly explain that I wasn't honking at them, the car was.

You've got to move the steering wheel away from the steering column housing. This is done by loosening the impact clamp and sliding the column up. The impact clamp can be installed incorrectly very easily. As I recall, you have to tighten the two bolts first, then reef down on the allen screw, and finally tighten the 11/16" nut that locks the allen screw. If you tighten the allen screw before you completely tighten the two bolts, the clamp will not be completely closed against the inner and outer columns.

As far as the car with the horn that will not work once the column is pulled upwards, I would guess that the spring in the pencil contact is worn and is unable to maintain contact when the wheel is that far away from the housing. Just a guess.

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:29 am

Hmm, maybe we could start a honk while turning club! My Elan did the same, resolved the same as others, pulling the hub a little away from the column.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: