alternator wires

PostPost by: FEDUP » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:22 pm

hi need some help brought 1969+2 12 months ago just started to re assemble after a major strip down refitting alternator (new item from local auto electrians ) loom has a lucas three wire block fitting this fits to the back of alternator seems ok but i also have a brown wire with female spade end but i dont seem to have any male end fitting on the back of alterntor any advice welcome ian
FEDUP
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi there,
The first question would be - Is it the original wiring loom? and the second would be have you removed the old voltage regulator?

It could be the original wire that fed up into the voltage regulator box. This can be replaced with a new red wire that feeds the positive side of the starter solenoid.

Let me know as I recently converted my car to alternator.

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: FEDUP » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:48 pm

hi the car was rebuilt some 10 years ago it had a new loom then and coverted to alternator no voltage regulator box . The lucas block connector has 2 xlarge brown wires which seem to run from the starter solenoid .And one smaller brown and yellow wire. The loose female connecter wire is coloured brown and black and is the same size (diameter ) as the brown and yellow wire .I have only driven the car once and that was to drive back from wigan where i purchased it from . Original alternator was taken to auto electrians to be checked out found to be fautly replaced with upprated replacment a CJF. Rotating Electric, rep lucas A100 ALTERNATOR. Thanks ian
FEDUP
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:43 pm

Ian,
From what you state you would appear to have the correct number of wires coming from the alternator. This other wire may not be required as the loom may have been designed for both alternator or dynamo.

Do you have a amp meter or volt meter on the dash and does it appear to work?

The alternator wires just feed back power to the cars electrical circuit via the solenoid. I retained my original voltage regulator and bridged the power connection at the back to feed the fuse boxes; and I used the original brown and yellow feed for the dynamo plus a new red cable which I ran to the solenoid. The small wire in the block is to do with the ignition light.

I would suspect that the other end of your black and brown wire is either behind the amp meter or tucked up in the loom next to the fuse box - not being used.

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: