Voltage Stabiliser Replacement

PostPost by: BJC1 » Mon May 02, 2005 8:57 pm

Hi all

Some of my gauges are reading too high so I am looking to replace the voltage stabiliser. The question is, can anyone tell me where it is and is it much of a job?

Thanks
BJC1
New-tral

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue May 03, 2005 10:21 am

ask john clegg......he has some for sale and has replaced his......the big question is....'is it still where it was put in the first place???....it should in theory be on the back of the dash to the 'boot release' side of the steering wheel.....unless it been moved....I found mine shoved behind the ash tray (4 dial dash..that'd be the fuse box on the later +2's).....so it could be anywhere.......happy hunting
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue May 03, 2005 1:40 pm

On my 1970 S4 Elan the voltage stabiliser was originally fitted directly to the back of either the speedo or rev.counter casing (can't remember which) This provides an earth for the body of the regulator which I am informed is important. I fitted mine to the back of the dashboard during the rebuild of my car & since then the fuel gauge shows only half full with a full tank. I will be doing a full electrical check soon I will fit one of those John Klegg stabilisors & ensure that the body of it is earthed.
Good luck
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: